Office mates clean up [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Office mates clean up

Dble Haul
06-02-2006, 07:44 AM
My office mate and I left work a bit early to go out on a local CT resevoir. There were thunderstorms in the forcast, and it was hot and humid.....my kind of fishing. :cool:

We spent four hours catching crappie, bass, pumpkinseed, and countless bluegills. Craig fishing topwater the whole time, and I stared fishing subsurface and switched to topwater for the last ninety minutes of daylight. Wooly buggers, wooly worms, and rubber legged poppers did the damage. If the poppers didn't have rubber legs, they didn't get nearly as much attention as those that did.

The thunderstorms stayed away until fifteen minutes after we pulled the boat out of the water. Then it POURED. I guess we hit our window of opportunity just right.

teflon_jones
06-02-2006, 08:47 AM
How many bass and any decent sized?

Dble Haul
06-02-2006, 09:00 AM
We caught a handul, none over a foot long. To be honest, we weren't really targeting them. We were after the sunfish and crappie with our three weights, which made some of the bluegills feel like bluefins. :smile:

Quentin
06-02-2006, 05:58 PM
. . . We were after the sunfish and crappie with our three weights, which made some of the bluegills feel like bluefins. :smile:

Sounds like fun! I fished from shore Wednesday evening and got a few pickerel, a crappie and a couple rock bass but no largemouths or smallmouths. I was trying for bass with my 7wt so the little fish weren't much of a challenge. The only smaller rod I have is a clunky $39.00 5wt that works ok but is not much of a pleasure to cast. I've been considering getting a better 5wt, but maybe I'll get a nice 3wt instead. I love using panfish poppers and foam bugs and a 3wt would probably be ideal for that. It would also be fun to use it for those 1-3 lb carp in the baby carp fishery on the Housy :lildevl: .

Q

Dble Haul
06-05-2006, 07:59 AM
That sounds like fun, Q. Even a small carp would be a handful on a three weight.