6wt spey [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 6wt spey

D3Smartie
06-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Has anyone used a 6wt spey for atlantics? I got the Sage 6126 for summer run steelhead and i am going to bring it up to the restigouche with me this year. We are going to be there the first week of august so grilse should be there in numbers.
Although if we get some rain the lid could come off like a couple years ago.
If anyone has used the 6126 or a light spey for atlantics i would love to hear what you thought of it. Thanks.

Salar-1
06-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Yes.
adequate
and enjoy

juro
06-02-2006, 09:18 AM
I've enjoyed many Sage rods over the years (still do) but that's one I don't own. Do you know the grain weights that rod likes? That will give you an idea of a comparison verses AFTMA single hand rods, which is a good basis for whether a rod can handle fish or not.

Smolt
06-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Has anyone used a 6wt spey for atlantics? I got the Sage 6126 for summer run steelhead and i am going to bring it up to the restigouche with me this year. We are going to be there the first week of august so grilse should be there in numbers.
Although if we get some rain the lid could come off like a couple years ago.
If anyone has used the 6126 or a light spey for atlantics i would love to hear what you thought of it. Thanks.

I have a Winston BIIx 7wt 11ft rod that should be somewhat comparable to your Sage -- maybe even a little lighter.

It handled 10+ pound salmon in very heavy Fall water on the Cains last season, and I don't think the reason is my expertise in playing fish. It also worked just fine on Matapedia fish to eight pounds a couple of summers ago. I'm sure it would have handled heavier fish, I just didn't hook any on that rod. I plan on it being my main rod when fishing the Miramichi this July.

Hope this helps.

D3Smartie
06-02-2006, 11:19 AM
would love to hear back after you fish the Miramichi in july.
I know its a great summer steelhead and small salmon rod, i just wory about how it will handle fish 20+

beau purvis
06-02-2006, 10:44 PM
I have a 6126 but have not fished it yet.I bought it because all the stud fishermen I know really like it.I have cast it.How can you go wrong.Take it.Beau