Chest pack recommendations [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chest pack recommendations

soloflyfisher
05-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Can anyone recommend a good mid-sized chest pack? I want something that is comfortable to wear (shoulder straps not neck straps), can be used in both fresh and salt water, and that can hold the following:

On Chest
One large flybox
Nippers
Hemostat/pliers
Hook sharpener
Floatant
A few leaders
Four or so tippet spools
Strike indicators
Split shot

On Back
Spare spool
Extra flybox
Water/snack
Car keys

I've been looking online at the LL Bean SwitchPack and several of the William Joseph products (ultra light, creel, and coastal II), but haven't seen them "in-person" yet, so it's hard to judge how useful they are.

juro
05-30-2006, 11:00 AM
What type of fishing? It matters... for instance from a pontoon boat, with a stripping basket, Spey casting, etc.

soloflyfisher
05-30-2006, 11:16 AM
What type of fishing? It matters... for instance from a pontoon boat, with a stripping basket, Spey casting, etc.

Juro . . . I'll be using it mostly for wading in streams for trout, but I also occasionally fish for stripers from the beach or from rocks (usually with a stripping basket) and I do spey cast for salmon/steelhead. It would be nice to have one pack for all three purposes, but maybe that's not possible. (I use a gear bag when I fish from boats/canoes.)

juro
05-30-2006, 11:43 PM
Big packs in front are a pain when using stripping baskets because they get in the way; two compartments ala mae west drive me crazy when rowing because they hinder arm motion when rowing; and I like a traditional vest when Spey casting to spread the stuff out wide and thin (provided I don't stuff it) besides it's typically not too hot while steelheading.

That being said my favorite was a "riversmith" chest pack with removable bakpack that was poly impregnated nylon with multiple compartments smartly designed. I think the company went out of business unfortunately or I'd buy another in a minute.

I use the Patagonia double haul sling chestpack a lot especially when the water bladder is important (tropics, etc). I prefer the two-shoulder river smith strap system over the one-shoulder sling of the double haul which puts more pressure on one shoulder while the other spreads the load.

I don't like the styling to look too fancy so that rules out some brands mentioned by others for me.

Spock
05-31-2006, 10:15 AM
fishpond makes all types you should check them out. i use the windwalker chest pack and it works great.

juro
05-31-2006, 10:36 AM
I thought that had a neck strap?

They have some new stuff for 2006 I saw at the show.

BigDave
05-31-2006, 10:41 AM
For trout I like a vest.

Simms recently discontinued the Vertical Master vest which is short, lightweight and will hold all of that stuff and then some.

I have seen them on sale for a song. Might be worth checking out...it is an excellent product.

soloflyfisher
05-31-2006, 02:51 PM
Has anyone used the flytedeck.com? This looks much too small for saltwater, but it might be great for trout and spey casting. No room for a water bottle, but I could hook one up to my wader belt. The Flytedeck seems to be very low profile, which is a huge advantage over most other chest packs. It doesn't hold much, but probably enough for most trout/steelhead fishing.

Non-sponsor Link Removed

Thanks,

Sean

chromer
06-01-2006, 12:18 AM
with all due respect, I can't see the point of a fly box on a harness

soloflyfisher
06-01-2006, 11:24 AM
with all due respect, I can't see the point of a fly box on a harness

Seems to me that it's similar to the lanyard approach--just a different strap system, which might hold a bit more weight a bit more tightly to the chest.

FishHawk
06-03-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm leaning towards the Pack Vest by Patagonia. It has a mesh vest attached to a 1700 cubic inch pack which can both be used separately. The reason for a large pack is that I dress in layers and my small Orvis pack cannot hold the extra clothing. However, as Jim Simms told me don't get it or you'll fill it up. :hihi: I will then need a pack mule to haul my gear. FishHawk