News from the Merrimack? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: News from the Merrimack?

mikez
05-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Strange weather we've been having lately, isn't it?
This past winter was the first one in my personal memory in which I could not find safe ice in northern Ma for most of the season.
Then the spring comes as a drought and rivers in April look like August.
Next throw in a foot of rain in less than a week! Bizarre.
Traditionally I take my first keeper bass this weekend to provide fillets for the Memorial Day cookout. For several years now those have been the only stripers I harvest all season. Looks like I'll be breaking the tradition this year.
In light of the massive slug of raw sewage that came down the Merrimack last week I have opted to forgo even attempting to fish there, but i'm curious. Has anyone fished the river upstream of PI? What is the conditions? Anyone know if the bigger fish had arrived before the flood? How bout herring?

broche
06-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Greetings;

I fished the Merrimack on May 20th. Water was suprising clear, although there was a little more debris in the water than usual. Plenty of fish, mostly small but I did manage 1 fish about 28 inches. The conditions did not seem to deter the bass from entering the river what so ever. I don't know about the herring, although I did see a couple small fish splashing the surface - probably to small to be schoolies - perhaps herring or silversides trying to get out of the way.

mikez
06-02-2006, 03:24 PM
thanks for the update!
The stripers are gonna have to wait now. I leave tomorrow to see if I can annoy some tarpon.:smokin:

Smcdermott
06-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Mike,

Good luck with the poons. I was in Cozumel last week and did some snorkeling and thought of you diving into Weekapaug breechway. I may pick your brain on doing it along the RI coast as I had a lot more fun than I thought I would. Even considering looking into getting Scuba certified.

Sean

juro
06-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Hey Mike...

one warning about poon, you get a little of that and it's all over!

Nothing up around these parts can touch that in terms of the take, the leaps, the runs and the excitement factor.

Hope you find 'em!

mikez
06-03-2006, 03:54 AM
Sean, I went to considerable effort to make sure my mask and snorkle would fit in my luggage. Sharks and gators can't keep me out any better than ice cold water keeps me out in Oct in RI.
I'd be glad to do some snorkling with you this season if you'd like. Lately I mostly go for the stray tropicals but searching for stripers and diving in their habitat is not only extremely fun but can also help further your knowledge of the beasts and give an edge to the angling. It is slightly frustrating to fish all morning without seeing a fish only to put on the mask and dive to find out 30 lbers are stacked among rocks you were casting to. It happens more than you'd think!:wink: