Steelhead Fly of the week Kalama Special [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Steelhead Fly of the week Kalama Special

Charlie
05-26-2006, 09:49 AM
The Originator of this fly, Mooch Abrams from Portland Oregon, tied the fly for sea run cutthroat. It then became popular in the 1930s and 1940s as a summer run steelhead fly especially during the late summer. Abrams is also credited with introducing the double-haul cast.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tail: Red Hackle barbs.
Body: Yellow or fluorescent yellow chenille or yarn.
Hackle: Badger palmered over the body with a few extra turns at the head.
Wing: White bucktail.
Head: Black

juro
05-26-2006, 11:01 AM
The Kalama is a special place for me.

I caught my first bona fide dry fly steelhead there, learned a tremendous amount about the fish there, and almost died there as did my dog who tumbled into the canyon on a loose outcropping three steps in front of me and thus probably saved my life. He found a way to bound off the cliff and tumble head over four heels into the water and swam to shore but I am sure I would not have fared so well during the precipitous fall.

I've camped along the upper river so I could have first dibs on the bright Father's Day fish then scramble home 3 hours drive in time for the dinner reservations with the family.

One day I hooked a bush across the river and tried to shake the fly free. The bush had a bunch of fall sedges on the branches that got knocked into the water and the pool exploded with steelhead torpedoing the giant caddis. It was one of the most frustrating moments in my life as I could not break the line against the supple branch. That night I created the sedge muddler and it became one of my top summer flies.

Great memories! Thanks for sharing.

flytyer
06-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Charlie,

Yellow stealhead flies have gone out of fashion and favor with steelheaders of late. But there is a time in May-early June when the PNW is a green wonderland and also a good time to use flies with yellow or green in them. Also, this is a very effective searun cutthroat fly in small sizes.