Skunked tonight. Anyone else fishing? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Skunked tonight. Anyone else fishing?

Quentin
05-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Tried a few spots from shore tonight but didn't even catch one :o .

Anyone else been out?

Q

Dble Haul
05-26-2006, 10:04 AM
I was out last week but got chased off the water by thunder and the potential for lightening. I caught several crappie and sunfish, so I shouldn't really complain. I'll be back next week with my office mate and should have a fuller report then.

teflon_jones
05-31-2006, 07:19 AM
I went out twice on Monday (my birthday, so my wife couldn't complain too much :) ). I got about 5 small largemouth in the morning journey and only one at night. All of them were pretty small (10" or so) except one in the morning that was about 13". On the flip side, the panfish were active as all heck and I resorted to flipping nymphs to them to end the morning and catching a ton. Normally I get between 6-12 largemouth in a trip and they're pretty much all in the 12-15" range. I changed up my tactics and locations a lot too but no luck.

I suspect the cold spring followed by a week of solid rain really screwed up the fishing conditions. Last fall a similar thing happened. In late Sept we got a ton of rain and the lakes around me were up about 12" over normal and the fishing just dried up for the rest of the year.

I'm also wondering what happened to the spawn this year because the water temps before the rain were still below 60 around me, which is below spawning temps (62-65). Now they're up in the upper 60's just a couple of weeks later.

dewey
05-31-2006, 11:47 AM
I got out on Lake Champlain for an hour or so in the kayak. In a limited-opportunity season for me, it was successful. I got 4 bass - smallies. Two were in the 14 in. range, and the last one was getting toward 4.5-5 pounds - a real bruiser. This lake is a tremendous smallmouth fishery - never ceases to amaze me. Also got a perch and got bit off by what I suspect was a Pike. In my one hour relieved of fathering duties, I gotta say I was pretty happy with it.
All on a clouser close to shore. The high water is holding fish in some of the nicer shore structure that is usually on dry land right now.

flyjkol
05-31-2006, 02:20 PM
i was able to get out last weekend and was able to jump a couple largemouth early on clousers and a few late on poppers. Flyfishings been real tough lately around here, the winds have been pushing 30mph almost daily...

Warren
06-01-2006, 05:57 AM
Went out monday evening & I could not buy a strike. A few Pumpkin seeds tried to bite my dear hair popper. Too big. I'll try again as soon as the bass move of their beds maybe things will improve

bonefishmon
06-01-2006, 06:23 AM
Worm hatch on Ninigret Pond was a hoot. Did not hook many but it was fun seeing all those worms so early in the afternoon.

Phil

Dble Haul
06-01-2006, 08:40 AM
Come on Phil, this is the warmwater board. Keep your salt stories where they belong. :razz: :wink:

Adrian
06-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Well, Ninigret does get quite warm this time of year :hihi: