Flats Hip Pack? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Flats Hip Pack?

Jim Miller
05-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Going to the Bahamas in a couple of weeks. I'm looking into a flats "hip or fanny pack" to carry my stuff while bonefishing. I already have a number of technical backpacks, fishing vests, & chest packs suited for other fishing venues. (trout, steelhead, NE flats.)
But....I'm thinking that they will all be too cumbersome and hot to wear in Eleuthera in June.
I've been looking at models from "Fishpond" and "William Joseph". Any other recommendations or suggestions for the technical aspects of a good flats pack?

Thanks in advance.

D3Smartie
05-24-2006, 05:49 PM
i like the chest packs. sage makes one that i own and it is very similar to what W&J makes. box of flies and some tippet is really all that i carry with me and it fits perfectly into these little chest packs.
Thats how i would go.

Spock
05-25-2006, 11:12 AM
First are you wading or using a boat? second you really dont need alot of stuff to fish for bones one small box of flies a couple of leaders and some tippet which will fit nicely into your front pocket. I would bring a couple of water bottles.

Jim Miller
05-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks
I will be wading or kayaking DIY mode. Probably for not more than 4 hours at a time. (thinking dawn & dusk excursions (tide dependent) w/ family time sandwiched between)

From what I'm gathering from the responses. I might be good to go by useing my Tech Shirt for storage ..... & hang a water bottle & pliers off my belt.
And I'll be saving money for all those Kalik(s) :D

any other responses are appreciated :)

Adrian
05-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Travel light is good advice. Although the wind is usually blowing at a reasonable clip which takes the edge off the heat, water is critical. Better to have too much and not need it. Having experienced mild dehydration its very scary!