A Helping Hand [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: A Helping Hand

camoman45
05-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Well, I invested in my first fly rod and reel. It came with a tippet but as soon as i took it out it tangled so i just cut off about a foot of the bigger line[big mistake I later found out] And I was off in Laffayete Sunday at a local pond/lake. I ended up catching a 2 pound bass and a million bluegill.There was only one keeper sized bluegill. My cast was horrible, my technique was really bad and my knots needed improvement. I seen another Fly Fisher-man that looked like he knew exactly what he was doing. He helped a novice[me] cast better, set the hook better, tie great knots, and a lot of tips that I wont forget. I even tie those knots he showed me with extra line just so it will stay fresh in my mind until this Friday, or Thursday. He said he fishes there alot and said he'll be a tour guide on the Tippecanoe River for fly fishing. Oh yeah he also made me a tippet and showed me how to do it as well. I love this more improved fly fishing than the way I used to do it. Bye Bye spincast, canepole, and baitcaster. Well, for a while anyway.:)

Adrian
05-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Thats a great story, thanks for posting.

You should find lots of helping hands on this site too. :smokin:

Don't forget to post your experiences on the Warmwater board.

Good luck!

ejbun
05-24-2006, 12:45 PM
camoman45-

Good for you! Even with the slight hiccups, you sound like you got off on the right foot. More than a lot of us can say our first time out. Keep at it. Keep learning as much as you can from veterans, and if you can swing it you may consider spending a day or two with a guide. A guide will shave years off of your curve and take a lot of the guess work out of it. I've been throwing bugs for 20 years and still force myself to go with a guide at least once a year.

Keep on keepin on!