Sage SP IV 590 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sage SP IV 590

IDAHO79
05-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Can anybody give me some info on the this rod?
http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/4654/sage5ki.th.jpg (http://img103.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sage5ki.jpg)
Sage Graphite IV 590 SP+
#5 line 9'0 3 3/8 oz
Durascrim is marked under the Sage logo as well
I was browsing the local pawn today and came across it. Been trying to google some info on it but only found the exact rod on EBay, and some comparisons to the SLT series.
The guy at the pawn shop said he could give it to me for $200.00. It looks somewhat brand new no marks or stains on the cork. All the guides and shaft look like new as well. This is my first year and was about to buy the Sage Launch 9'0 #5line for about the same amount of money. Should I stick with the Launch Series or go for the Sp Series, if its a good deal? Any replys would be great. Thanks.........

BigDave
05-23-2006, 05:46 PM
The SP is an excellent medium-fast action rod that I would put up there with anything Sage is making nowadays. I have a 2 pc. 6, but is an an SP not SP+. You probably noticed the SP hardware is vastly superior to the launch rods...it was once featured at the top end of the Sage lineup.

Not sure what the differences are between SP and SP+...maybe someone else will chime in.

D3Smartie
05-23-2006, 11:22 PM
SP
without a doubt.... The old SP has now become the SLT. My favorite trout rods and i like the 8wts for altantic salmon. Without a doubt it is a much better although older rod than the Launch.

IDAHO79
05-24-2006, 12:58 AM
Well, it sounds like the SP rod is the better of the two. Tomorrow I think I will go back and purchase it. THanks for all the info. Kelly~

BLACK FRANCIS
05-24-2006, 05:49 AM
the rod shown is a sp+ which make all the difference in the world. this rod will be much more like a TCR, very fast (i owned one for years). definitly one of the fastest action 5 weights i have ever cast. the sp reg is a medium action rod.

Spock
05-24-2006, 08:00 AM
Great Rod very good deal go for it

D3Smartie
05-24-2006, 12:24 PM
its much faster than the SLT but in now way does it even come close to the TCR.

great rod for the money and much better then the launch. go for it.

skeg
05-29-2006, 08:43 PM
there are the "good rods" what sage makes, and there are some "legendary" rods...the RPL, LL, SP, SPplus, and (IMHO) now the TCR, are in the second category.

-go for it! it is a collectors item now.;)

Eddie
06-03-2006, 09:56 PM
If you are a new caster, you might find that this rod is demanding. It is designed to have alot of line out to cast well. Maybe not the best all around rod for trout fishing. If the price is right, try it and if you don't like it, put it on ebay. It will sell quickly.