May 25th and 26th. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: May 25th and 26th.

striperstripper
05-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Any body going to be around Thursday and Friday,I need another fix of migrating stripes on the beach side?What time does Kieth run during the week?

juro
05-22-2006, 06:53 PM
Without revealing too much of the secret sauce on line, we found them as you predicted on north beach as well however the flats a short hop to the inside will get me on the early shuttle every time (not to mention North Monomoy).

I think I recall Keith saying 7am - 4pm single circuit during the week; regular hours weekends (8am - 4pm). Not sure when summer hours kick in (5pm).

juro
05-22-2006, 07:24 PM
Paul -

I would fish the inside shallow and leisurely those days especially thursday unless they change the forecast, then head straight to Nauset or around the corner from the lighthouse after 4pm for the kind of venue you seek. I suspect that even if you only did one of the two you would be blown away.

I'd give an eye tooth to be there but can't afford to blow my deadlines at the day job with a second child entering college.

But I can dream :D

sean
05-22-2006, 07:29 PM
I might be there thursday with another rhody guy...currently begging the wife.

-sean

Rip Ryder
05-22-2006, 08:59 PM
I will be making a run at 7 am with a return at 5pm during the week. Weekends we will be at the refuge all day, so there will be a mid day pick up. Once the new boat is done we will have the mid day everday.

Capt Keith

FishHawk
05-23-2006, 05:18 AM
I will be down on Thurs. not sure of staying til 5. Traffic could be a bear. FishHawk

juro
05-23-2006, 07:12 AM
forecasting partly cloudy now, but with low winds expected (S/SE 6 = Chatham: S/SE 16) and good spring tides I will be grinding my teeth at work thinking about you guys

I don't think you will need much light with everything else aligned so well, also I have a sneaky suspicion that the sun will shine

sean
05-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Will be there on Thursday all day. My cell is 206-427-4310 if any folks want to meet up. Should be a good day.

-sean

juro
05-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Rub it in!!! :lildevl:

Good luck bro

juro
05-25-2006, 07:01 AM
I have never been so jealous of anyone in my life as I am of those who are fishing today.

Everything is perfect... light winds from the south, bright ambient light, tides, seasons, bait arrival, EVERYTHING!

I have a very full plate at the office today so I guess I will have to make up for it with a vengeance (when not guiding) this weekend! I plan to make some serious footprints this weekend for sure.

You should have been there... TODAY :)

Paxton
05-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Went yesterday(Wednesday)......water much colder, fish (other than twinkies on the edge) gone...no fish sighted either side of SB all day....walked up the surf side in the a.m. to the southway and down the flats in the p.m......NADA :-( We will need the right wind and warmth for a couple of days to bring them and the bait back.....pray!
Ron
PS: Tuesday was the same deal according to reports

Adrian
05-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Sitting here in NYC looking out the window and wishing I was there.....

I'll be back this w/e.

If the sun doesn't shine, the big tides and new moon = big-time worm hatch potential so if you haven't had enough of the surf (and, how can you ever have enough of that ?:lildevl: ) you can fish all night too :D

juro
05-25-2006, 09:19 AM
According to reports the Simms party had quite the outing yesterday.

Wind's been pushing some good water temps into the area, they are there even if not visible in the expected ways.

Paxton
05-25-2006, 09:42 AM
FYI....Jim had the same experience on Tuesday on SB and did not fish SB yesterday....was bay side

juro
05-25-2006, 09:49 AM
plot thickens... the phone conv this am as I called the causeway at 7am out of work-induced frustration did not reveal that amount of detail :)

However, they are *definitely* still there. :lildevl:

Paxton
05-25-2006, 11:48 AM
Water temps yesterday on SB were similar to the flat in front of Outermost Harbor Marina 3 weeks ago....cold!!!! Scouted yesterday in anticipation of being joined this weekend by a young lady wearing her Bo-Sox pink hat :)
Changes in structure were significant in some areas....better and worse dependent on where.....always interesting!

juro
05-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Sounds like you might have had an infusion of cold water from the recent winds turning things over. Yet the temps at 11a are holding well now...

http://marine.rutgers.edu/mrs/show/?file=../regions/capecod/sst/noaa/2006/img/060525.145.1102.n12.jpg

My advice would be to fish the prominent migratory behavior in that case verses keying on resident behavior. The rhythm of the migration hasn't skipped a beat over localized coldness (nor hell & high water). I don't need to be standing in it's path to know that with certainty in late May that's for sure.

Adrian
05-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Interesting. I was wondering at what point things settle down into the "resident" phase. Certainly not yet!

Is it a gradual process over the coming weeks or is it more definable?

Only fishing the area in small 'golden' moments of time with drought periods measured in weeks in the concrete jungles in between means I miss the subtle changes as things transition from one phase to another.

From what I saw last week-end there were as many fish leaving the refuge as there were arriving.

juro
05-25-2006, 01:15 PM
I don't want to go into too much detail publicly but there is a lapse period where both are around then it comes down to residents with some transient activity based on things like cold water infusion, bait shoal movements, and other nomadic schools I am sure.

In fact 'resident' probably applies best to places like the Monomoy refuge, Billingsgate shoal, Brewster flats, Parker River, and other distinct structures more aptly than other places prone to roaming activity like stellwagon, nantucket rips, etc. For instance in the many times we have fished the south tip in July well after the prominent migration it's a grab bag of blues and bass of various sizes and the bait varies accordingly too. It's a big melting pot out there.

However you can classify the way to target fish very clearly based on the general behavioral patterns (e.g. migratory verses 'resident') in order to stack the odds, that I am sure of.

striblue
05-26-2006, 02:09 AM
Well, can't make it this weekend, but will be down next.

flydoc
05-26-2006, 08:23 AM
John- terribly disappointed to hear that- was very much looking forward to getting out with you this weekend, as I'll be on call the following weekend. Please let me know if you'll be down the weekend of June 10/11...otherwise, I might have to report you to the board for noncompliance with a physician's orders:tsk_tsk:
Flydoc