Clave: Ocean Side [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Clave: Ocean Side

bonefishmon
05-22-2006, 05:16 AM
I left Drew, Chris and Porkslice to job of feeding the cows on the oceanside around 8:30am as I needed to head home for my daughters' dance recital.

Did that wait for the lower tide pay off like last year???????? Please, be gentle!

Phil

FishHawk
05-22-2006, 02:08 PM
After watching the more experience surf fly rodders I 'm going to learn the Surf this year. It's quite a challenge. FishHawk:D

juro
05-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Fishhawk,

That was about as miserable as the surf gets, unless you added sideways rain. If there was any rain, it would have definitely been sideways! And waves taller than our heads too. I think your research will see much better days than that :Eyecrazy:

I went with the bigger Atlantis the next day and had an easy day in the same wind, caught a ton of fish in the suds. First day hijinks I guess on Sat, but shook the cobwebs out Sunday on Nauset.

Anyone hear how striperstripper did Sat afternoon on Nauset? The fish were consistently bigger on Sat.

Dave17
05-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Larry and I fished Nauset on Sunday as well. Lots of fish not much size. Hooked one really big fish, saw him streak through the surf and the hook pulled. Absolutely beautiful out there on Sunday.:smokin:

striperstripper
05-22-2006, 05:29 PM
First off I want to say thanks to all for making saturday at south beach a great time ,it was good to see everybody and to meet and greet new people ,it's nice to actually meet the people I been conversing with on the internet .I unfortunatley was unable to return to the festivities saturday night,by the looks of it I missed a good time .I found no love over at nauset later on ,there were people fishing sluggos who had no luck either.Juro what condition are the s nauset trails in,is it worth getting the OSV permit?

juro
05-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Paul -

I've seen the trails much much worse, in fact all areas are open continuously down to 10.

However the problem this year is that much of the sand we are used to has been pushed out about 150-200 feet off the waterline and what appears to be a solid berm off the tire tracks in several areas is really very new build up that is soft and has a deceptive slope to get back onto compressed sand on the trail.

So if you veer off to allow ROW traffic or to check the water, you might have to back up slowly because you won't get up the slope to regain traction to re-enter the track unless you have balloon tires or something.

Summary - the trail per se is good all thru but the corridor to the berm edge is deceptive, soft and sloped so as to promote digging in. I predict that the summer crowd will be doing a lot of shoveling this year.

HOWEVER... I would bet the soft berm / corridor shelf is because of the new bar/cut formations - a flyfisher's dream of alternating wave-breaking bars with cuts for miles. Inside the bars are deep channels some even able to hold fish on low tide. At mid-tide to high these are just the most fishy and spidey sense tingling structure I have seen in years and I pray that mother nature does not taketh away before the big cigar sand eels dig in to the trenches and the resident cows get addicted to hunting them. This would create a shoreline big fish magnetism very much like what I have seen appear in several locations over the years - but for miles and miles and these bars also cancel the widowmaker waves before the reach the beach.

Not to spill too much but the tip (in it's current condition) excites me more than any other structure I have seen so far with a gorgeous sub-tropical looking flat on the east shore (Nauset side) of the inlet which I am dubbing "sand eel city" even though the sand eels have not taken to resident behavior yet. If you see it you will know why.

Last hint - it is what the southway no longer is. A huge ocean-facing inlet with mind-boggling sand build up from the channel shift. Come the dog days this will be an important consideration for fly guys looking for big quality fish from shore. It is the mecca in disguise. Now I have said too much.

I will say no more. Paul, I would highly recommend the ORV pass for 2006.

titleguy
05-23-2006, 02:19 PM
What time were you guys out on Nauset? We hit the beach around 3:30 fished 'til 6, took a break and went back out until 10. We were in an old camo Land Rover 109. Lots of fish, but nothing of any great size. That is the fishiest looking piece of beach I have seen maybe ever. That high water slot is just amazing. Yep, sticker is worth it.:smokin: