Royal Fall Pupae [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Royal Fall Pupae

Philster
05-16-2006, 12:18 PM
This is an example I just tied for a fall pattern fly swap. On my working flies I often add a golden pheasant crest tail. Works as well without one.

Charlie
05-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Cool looking fly Philster!

Looks like it would work good for trout as well if you tied it in smaller sizes. What method do you use to fish this fly?

Charlie

Philster
05-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Hey Charlie

I either swing it, or tight line dead drift, sorta like greaseline, but not worrying about keeping it sideways. I concentrate more on dropping it down seams regardless of orientation. I have other patterns more suited to surface and damp presentations, so this one is on a 7999 hook and fished wet. As to trout, yes no doubt it would work, but there are so many fun to tie trout pupae that I couldn't bring myself to stop using:biggrin:

juro
05-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Philster,

I see serious summer run action when i look at that fly. Being a big pupa fly fan myself (e.g. the mukai creeper) I feel it's among the most effective ways to unlock the lips of summer run steel whether June bright or October rosy-cheeked.

I like the traditional accents you used without losing the buggy eat-me factor.

Fall steelhead is not going to escape me this year! I will grab some airline tickets now and hang them on the fridge so my better half will be adequately warned that I will be awol then.