Winston vs. Thomas & Thomas [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Winston vs. Thomas & Thomas

Kory
05-11-2006, 09:08 AM
I am in the market for a 6 wt. for throwing a sink tip w/ streamers. I own a T&T Horizon II 5 weight for Indicator fishing and large dry fly duty. I own a 7 weight Boron IIx for Steelhead fishing and I love both rods. The Horizon II seems to be the faster of the 2 so I was thinking with a sink tip the faster the better. Just looking for some outside input on the situation. Thanks in advance...........

FishHawk
05-11-2006, 02:19 PM
I also own both rods. I have the 9wts. The Horizon II has more muscle than the Winston. When the winds howling it the rod of choice. I can throw a 400 grain line with both rods but the Horizon II can handle the extra grains without a problem. So I would go with the Horizon II. FishHawk

Dble Haul
05-11-2006, 02:33 PM
You can get lots of advice from lots of people, but until you cast both rods with the sink tip line you won't really know which one suits your casting style better.

For example, Fishhawk is describing his experiences with both rods in the nine weight size and throwing 400 grain lines. You're looking for info on rods in the six weight size in a sink tip. His observations don't correlate directly to what you are looking for, especially since his casting style might not match yours.

So take all the advice with a grain of salt, and take it into consideration if you are able to cast both rods.

Kory
05-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Thanks for your input guys I really appreciate it. I do have to agree everybody will have different preferences but I went down to the river today and checked them out. The Horizon II is definitely faster. I casted both rods with basically all the fly line out "both rods using Rio Grand Fly Line" The Winston almost folds and feels underpowered compared to the Horizon II. The Winston is better for short distances than the Horizon II but I feel for the application I want this 6 weight to fill "using a sink tip or full sink line" The Horizon II will do a better job. Don't get me wrong they are both great rods they just have slightly different actions. Thanks again Guys...............

skeg
05-17-2006, 04:07 AM
Kory, did you check the T&T Helix 6wt?

I think, it has best of the two worlds: lightness, light tip, but very powerful.
It fits perfectly to what you are looking for....