Pliers and stuff [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Pliers and stuff

JohnM
05-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Guys:

I am curious....I am heading down to Long Island at the beginning of June for some bones, etc....I cannot remember in my previous trips if I kept my pliers in my carry on or checked bags....has anyone gone recently and got thru security with pliers ?? What about the ol' nail knot tool ???

Thanks
John

juro
05-10-2006, 10:00 PM
John -

You lucky dog, sounds like a nice trip.

I put nothing of that nature in my carry ons, even had a nail clipper taken once (the kind with the little file folded under the handle). Inside the luggage it goes.

I did bring a small acoustic guitar though, and although they warned me it could be taken at any time they let me take it all the way through both directions. :)

Eddie
05-10-2006, 10:20 PM
why take the chance. i carry on reels, cameras, electronics, glasses and check everything else.

BigDave
05-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Check it. Had a friend lose his pliers to a security guard at Logan on the way to Abaco in March.

Do carry on rods, reels sunscreen and a day's worth of clothing.

rogcon
05-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Are people allowed to take 4 pcs rods (30" tube) as carry on ? I was under the impression you could not. Some BS about it being a club.

Adrian
05-11-2006, 10:46 AM
I carried my 4pc on American to and from the UK without hassle.

I think it might depend on the airline / agent - I believe TSA is cool with rods.

SteelBoneguy
05-11-2006, 11:52 AM
From WI, to St. Kitts and back I carried 2 rod tubes case no problems. I do take off the caps when they go through the security center during the xray. My rod pieces are 4 and 5 pcs. I need to get one of those carry one luggage rod bags. Easier to carry and less to worry when going through security. Always carry on my reels as well.

I recently heard that small scissor and nippers could be carry on planes. Don't see why pliers couldn't??? Make some calls.

JimW
05-11-2006, 12:21 PM
On my trip to Florida in March (American airlines) I was allowed to bring more than you would think safe. I did bring small scissors reels, lines, flies. I called the airline in advance to clarify the rules and they said as long as the blade wasn't longer than 4" it was even ok to bring a knife, but of course no box cutters. It's probably going to vary by airline and even the mood of the security people. BTW - I did not bring a knife on board.

teflon_jones
05-11-2006, 12:29 PM
The rules were changed several months ago to allow blades up to 2.5" on blades again. There wasn't much about it in the media, but the pilot's and flight attendant's unions complained about it a lot.

JohnM
05-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Guys:

Thanks for your thoughts...Juro, this was a last minute trip...actually going by myself. Got the green light as the rest of the year is packed full with recitals, kids parties, etc. So, I saw the opening and went for it......Spoke to the guy last night who is coordinating the trip for me and said that there are a number of places that the guides have found where clients are getting viable shots at Permit, but we know how that goes....I will be happy with bones and some juvie tarpon...and some cold Kaliks ! Will take some pics and get a report back on my return....Thanks guys !

John