Headed for parity $$$$ [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Headed for parity $$$$

Moonlight
05-05-2006, 03:13 PM
I will not be too suprised if by the time we start to pack for the Skeena country that the USD and Loony will be equal. That old lament about the $10 a day fishing fee only being $6 US is definetly passe.
When you throw in the rising price of fuel for the long drive it may just keep a few folks fishing close to home this Fall.:whoa:

pescaphile
05-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Factoring in the GST and PST, the cost has been on par for some time. I agree that the US and Canadian dollars will be on par themselves this fall , add the taxes and... well, you know the rest.

Moonlight
05-07-2006, 01:30 AM
Heard on the news tonight that fuel already is $3.88 US in Canada. Hey Pescaphile lets meet up in Houston in September, might be fewer folks about this year. On the other hand lets hold off till the Bug Dead Pine is all logged off and the mill is shut down and there really is nobody there.

pescaphile
05-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Houston sounds good, but how 'bout Telka or, better yet, further down the valley? After all, fuel's gettin' kinda high these days, ya know? Seriously, I don't even look at the price -especially when it concerns goin' fishin' or not goin'. I don't even know what it costs here -probably approaching $3.30-$3.40/gal and going in you-know-which direction.

Yep, spread the word, let it be known to all, fishin' getting really expensive. Might as well jus' stay home and patch waders, tie flies or whatever and wait for gasoline prices to fall. :chuckle:

OC
05-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Not much to say except that a hard rain will fall and you two fine gentlemen are happily up to no good.:smokin:

SalmoGairdneri
05-10-2006, 02:28 PM
With all the talk of gas prices, I think it is interesting to compare what we are paying today to what we were paying in 1980-81.

Here is an example:
http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/statistics/gasoline_cpi_adjusted.html

-tony

juro
05-10-2006, 02:32 PM
And the rich just get richer...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2992775.stm

Moonlight
05-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Hey Tony good info thanks. Juro as I recall in 80 & 81 my wife and I were more broke than the Ten Commandments and managed to scrape up enough for fuel to get out to the "Local Coho streams" a short skiff ride from Sitka. Now days folks call those "Destination Fishing Spots" all That we knew for sure was it was a long way from New Hazelton. The income we had then thinking about the prices of everything just make my head hurt.
My fishing partner made a good chunk of his living in Prince William Sound (spotting from his Cessna) and has not made a nickle there since Joe and the Gang crashed into Blye Reef. There are rumors that a settelment may come out of the courts but boy Exxon has a lot of Attorneys to keep things going slow. I hope if the Oil Giant losses they have to pay the guys and gals intrest.

juro
05-10-2006, 03:45 PM
and I haven't pumped gas at Exxon since Valdez, and when they bought Mobil I stopped going there too.

Living in Seattle at the time it was a very emotional thing for the people of the northwest and I can imagine how bad it must have been for those of you in AK.

Now someone tell me the ol' boy network is not alive and well!

OC
05-11-2006, 10:01 AM
0.09 cent difference as of this morning. Merchants just south of the border are very happy as south bound traffic is waiting in line to make the cross. Guess we will see many of our old Northern friends fishing the Skagit soon. The Skagit as a destination river? When was the last time that was true?

SalmoGairdneri
05-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Moonlight, speaking of burning gas, are you planning to roar around that minty fresh 4-stroke out at Neah any time soon? My wife and I are planning for our annual week over the 4th July as the opening run. We'll see what happens from there. If the salmon action is similar to last year (as predicted), probably only 1 more trip after that. I was thinking of a rock fish run prior but probably won't make it out there prior.

-t

Moonlight
05-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Tony I will be out there a few times but the forecast as you say is not to rosie However I am sure NZ Trout Bum will there more than both of us.
Been keeping myself amused with the local Lakes for Cutts and Bows at least its fishing.

pescaphile
05-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Hey Moonlight,

Your fishin' partner is on his way here now, but will have to set down on terra firma as I suppose you've heard about the someone colliding with his floats. Sounds like one is not safe from drunks even parked behind TSA's exclusion areas.

It sure is coincidental isn't it about the Herring population in PWS falling immediately April '89 and not recovering since isn't it?

Finally spring like here. There was plenty of water this spring, so that bodes well for the fish.

Moonlight
05-26-2006, 12:22 AM
Don't let him fish through ahead of you make him "earn" his fish!

pescaphile
05-26-2006, 09:47 AM
There's ne'er a free pass. They must be bought of course. And Fresh oysters, fresh King Salmon, smoked Black Cod and some smoked meats from that place in Cle Elum make for good currency. (I made change with King Crab.) Tonight is sushi, more King Crab, Spot Prawns, and some good red tuna.

Parity? What Parity? :lildevl:

Moonlight
05-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Way too much envy from my viewpoint.
Juro the other day on a business program it was said that when Exxon merged with Mobil they had to sell off there Gas Stations as part of the deal with the regulators. While they are still called Exxon they have no affiliation with the "Parent corp." Not sure that would make you want to rush out and buy Gasoline there but I'll bet you rush right up to Pescaphiles for dinner!