Bonefish seasonal prey preferences [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bonefish seasonal prey preferences

josko
05-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Has anybody looked into seasonal prey variability? I'm a bit surprised that my goto flies from last december are barely getting a look this week. Fish just swim over, look at them, and fade away, either disinterested or slightly alarmed.
I went through a lot of flies before finding some they'd jump on, and man, do they ever. No hesitation; thry just jump on it and suck it down so you have to use forceps to get the fly back.
There more I get into this, the more I think there is to seasonal (and flat-specific)fly selection. Admittedly, I'm fishing some rather educated fish (East side of Andros), but still, matching the hatch seems important for all bone, even remote ones.

Six months ago, in these same locations, they wanted VERY different stuff. I keep meaning to get into sampling the flats for prey; even tried it a few trimes, but didn't unearth much, and some crittrer bit me pretty bad. Wondering if pumping bonefish stomachs, ala trout, makes any sense.
BTW, I'll be here for the rest of May. If anyone has specific questions about this area, feel free to PM me. I feel a little awkward posating detailed reports on a public forum.

Jim Miller
05-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Josko
Are you implying that I should tie up another 5 boxes of "new & different" flies for my June trip? :Eyecrazy: :confused:
Hope you are cracking the code! ;)

juro
05-05-2006, 11:49 AM
I would think that limited stomach examinations of bones in such a fertile area as Andros would be useful and humane.

Where should I ship the pump? :)

josko
05-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Well, I tried, but it would seem that bonefish chew more thoroughly than trout. All I got was a mass of goo and crabby shell bits even a biologist would be baffled by.

juro
05-08-2006, 09:48 AM
What did it taste like? :hihi:

(spin off from an old "cheech and chong" skit)

well it was worth a try

josko
05-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Speaking of tasting things, last night I watched a land crab absolutely feasting on a pile of fresh dog poop. He was shovelling it in with both claws as fast as he could.
Now, I'd call myself 'gastronomically adventurous', but seeing that put me off land crab for a while.

juro
05-08-2006, 01:02 PM
With all that lobster, grouper, snapper, and the way Bahamian women can cook what the heck is wrong with dat crab!!! ;)