Sage and Winston [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sage and Winston

LSU-Fan
05-04-2006, 04:19 PM
I am new to this sport, and am in Grad school. Due to cost I was planning on purchasing a TFO Professional or Redington RedFly, in the $150 range. I figured Sage and Winston were out of my league at this point. I just Checked their websites and found the 2 piece Sage Launch and the 4 peice Winston Ascent are both around $180. Are these brands worth the extra $30 even though they are the lowest end rod made by these companies (I know, the TFO and Redington I am looking at are the second lowest end). My local Fly shop carries all these brands, and I'll be asking them the same question next time I get there, just wantesd Ya'lls input.

-Brian

BLACK FRANCIS
05-05-2006, 06:27 AM
all of the rods you mentioned will be of similar quality. cast them all and see which one you like. all but the sage are made offshore. i am no real fan of sage rods but i have to give them credit for keeping the low end stuff domestic. if you have access to them look at the scott v2 series as they are great performers priced in your budget and made in the states. have fun picking one out.

hnl
05-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Brian,
What weight rod(s) are you considering?
Herb

LSU-Fan
05-05-2006, 08:27 AM
I am looking for an 8wt, for inshore redfish, and large mouth bass, and pretty much anything else that will bite.
Black Francis, Thanks for the input, I'll look at the v2

Spock
05-08-2006, 07:37 AM
Sage makes great rods in all price ranges, Cast them and you will agree