Goals for the year [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Goals for the year

juro
05-02-2006, 09:12 AM
Now that the twinkie parade is on and spawning is in high gear down south, I thought I would see what people are thinking this year for milestones in their angling development.

The past few have had some great checkmarks for me but there's always room for improvement.

I want to shift more effort toward specifically targeting big bass on the fly this year. For me that means fishing at least as much with the 11/12wt (2hnd) as the 9wt - anything on the upside of 15 pounds is a nice fish, 20# a good one, and 30# makes the grade. 40# is the dream. This is over and above the flats venue which is not so much about size but guile, will never give that up. But I am going to exploit fast deep rips with huge flies on big lines with two hands in more places than I have in the past, typically Chatham Inlet or the Monomoy Rip, where the technique was deadly. Also work big surf structures with flies big enough to choke a horse but not a cow striper. I am hoping some of the honey holes are holding adult herring again. I like to fish during the day, but if I have to go to night fishing to find the monsters then so be it. Some new fly designs are going to be necessary, some resembling billfish patterns :hihi:

With the southway closing, the upper refuge basin will have very warm water mid-summer with a few residents working the darkening bottom for crabs and worms, etc. Much different game than the sand eel eaters near the opening. I want to turn a few tricks with these guys in the heat of the dog days as well, a very challenging achievement as many of you know in late July and early August.

Also to make real a dozen new fly patterns I have drawn up on paper that have not made it to the bench yet, inspired by two years of Acklins flats fishing but with stripers in mind.

Oh yeah and two-hand fish the Canal a few times to see if Skagit casting can work there :)

Dble Haul
05-02-2006, 09:37 AM
My saltwater goal for this year is very clear cut: I want to get more sight fishing time in. It seems that every time I went last year the conditions just weren't favorable for seeing the fish. I resorted to fishing rips and structures, but that's something that I am already quite comfortable doing. I want and need the time for more sight fishing experience.

BigDave
05-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Legal Tautog on the fly. Preferably from shore.

Adrian
05-02-2006, 10:31 AM
1) Weakfish on fly. I have high hopes for May 7th. (Jamaica Bay Kayak fishing tourney) and will post results. They still get good runs down there in the early season - right under the JFK flight-path:Eyecrazy: . The ultimate would be the early season "slam" Striper, Weakfish and Bluefish.

2) Beat the Canal into submission with the double hander - why should the plug guys have all the fun:lildevl: Could be interesting this year with the herring ban - I hope so!

3) Targetting big fish is on my agenda also. I plan to do the night-time thing in the Surf. Also throwing ludicrously big patterns when the cows are munching on Shad in the estuaries and breachways.

4) Explore more of the refuge with the Kayak this season, especially July / August. The latest Google statelite photo looks fairly up to date. Only scratched the surface of West Common last season.

doogue
05-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Ahh, goal time. I love goals.

1. Score the elusive 40 inch or 25 pound fish. I too plan to throw huge flies at cow bass. I bought some yak streamer hair last week and I will tie some huge mackeral patterns that I will fish from my kayak in the Piscataqua throughout the month of June. I will buy a depth finder for the yak and use the finder and a nautical map to target structure on the river that I think will hold fish. Then I will put my hypotheses to the ultimate test!

2. I also plan to find legitimate sight fishing opportunities in Hampton Harbor. I know they exist and I know that I can paddle to some awesome looking Mecca like bars in the Harbor. Now I just need to find some white sand and shallow water that holds crabs and worms and is located near a safe retreat for the bass. I will scout the area in early June and I vow to put in 2 solid outings in the month of June.

3. I really started to dial in the Fall run on one of NH's most beautiful beaches last year. This year I plan to take my new found knowledge of the area to new heights of success via targeted fly dredging of a certain rock pile that holds huge bass in the late August through mid-September time frame. I will dredge the depths until they show on top and then I will toss flies right into the melee.

4. I need to get out fishing with Seuss, my brother and father, my 6 year old nephew and my 81 year old grandmother at least once in 2006. And I want them all to hook up into a 20" plus fish.

That is it for now....

Warren
05-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Goals for this year:

Work on my casting to improve distance & throw tight loops with fewer trailing loops

Fish more with my step son & my wife

Catch a really BIG striper:D

And try to make as many of the Forum activities as possible in an attempt to broaden my angling horizons, improve my fishing skills & make some new friends.

Work less & fish more:hihi:

Warren

sean
05-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Now that I live hear the goals have changed from just catching some fish on my cape vacations to:

- >20lb on a fly.

- I want to get out and do some night fishing for big bass. Have the beaches scoped out and just need to figure out tides and moon phases.

- Learn the how/where/when/what as to applying my steelhead floating line techniques to bass. From what I hear I need to watch Adrian.

-Sight fishing down in chatham. I have never been around for the june/july/august site fishing gig on the cape.

-Do a rip trip.

-sean

Paxton
05-02-2006, 11:57 AM
My goals are relatively simple and the same as last year:
1. Continue to try and learn at least one more thing each time out;
2. Study patterns of fish behavior at various times in the season and at various stages of the tides;
3. Be observant of everything....pay attention and when something works or doesn't, try and figure it out;
4. Explore new locations and changes in the topography;
5. Continiue to share what little I know with others, as they have shared with me....this one is probably the best experience that I have had. Helping a few newbies last year was almost as much fun as catching fish myself...maybe more so.
6. Enjoy being out there, no matter the success or lack thereof;
7. Remember to put Celebrex in my backpack and not forget as I did last week :frown: ;
8. Be thankful for each moment fishing;
9. Avoid getting a ticket on the way down :-)
10. Continue to enjoy our fine Captain's humor!
11. Continue to enjoy fishing with the friends that I have made and meet new ones.
If I succeeed at the above...the rest will come naturally.
Ron

FredA
05-02-2006, 12:15 PM
In sequence:
Fish the upper estuary by my place over the next couple of weeks, maybe throwing something big and alewife like. Maybe get the missus hooked up with a schoolie or two. Also check out a couple of bayside creeks.

Late May through early July I want to get tuned in to the rythems and patterns on the bayside flats. I've fished them a bit too casually the last couple of years.

Late May through the summer I want to work on the sight fishing skills.

Sometime I'm going to get a speycasting lesson from Juro

juro
05-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Sometime I'm going to get a speycasting lesson from Juro

Let's make it soon, before the big girls arrive if possible. My preference would be to do it first class up north on the Pemigewasset or Upper Merrimac but for convenience sake the Cape area is fine too.

Oh yeah another goal - to make the contributors to the "Hannah Fund" some of the best damn two-handed casters east of the Mississipi (except for Sean of course)

PopnesetBay
05-02-2006, 01:26 PM
FIRST and FOREMOST:
Improve casting ability. Dial in what works with rods I currently own.
NEXT:
Learn more about when, where and why fish are where they are and
what they are feeding on.
AND:
Spend as much time as possible with new friends, on and off the water
ENJOY:
Every minute spent in pursuit of a tight line.
ABOVE ALL ELSE:
Count my blessings and make each day worthwhile.

Pete Readel

jimS
05-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Four goals for the year:
1. Expose my wife to flyfishing the Cape.
2. Spend more quality time with my sons.
3. Target large fish.
4. Become involved with Friends of Monomoy.

FishHawk
05-02-2006, 02:31 PM
1. Learn to fish the Surf.
2. Fish the Refuge in the Yak.
3. Observe and learn the Canal two handed fishing.
4. Improve on my site fishing.
5. Explore and learn Long Island for the Fall Run.

I have learned a lot by watching some of the great fishermen on this site. Will continue to do so. We really have a good thing going here. FishHawk

Smcdermott
05-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Every year I come up with goals such as catching a new species or fishing a certain new location. This year I am going to keep it simple.

My goals are:

1. Fish as much as possible
2. Fish as many different places as possible
3. Keep a detailed log of my trips. (I always say I am going to do this but this year I hope to deliever on the goal.).

Sean

Sephon
05-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Due to my limited time on the Cape, my goals will be kept simple.

1. Land a Striper over 36".

2. Spend as much time with my Brother and Dad.

3. Keep up with my father on a death march.

4. Cast a 2-Hander.

5. Not be afraid of being bitten by a seal.

Looking forward to the Clave, see you all soon.

-Chris

jfbasser
05-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Learn a few more Middleside Striper Spots

Beat the Canal into submission any way I can:smokin:

Have a better year for shore Albies than last year:confused:

Adrian
05-02-2006, 04:27 PM
- Learn the how/where/when/what as to applying my steelhead floating line techniques to bass. From what I hear I need to watch Adrian.
-sean
I can claim no experience in the pursuit of the noble Steelhead, but, I have been fortunate to bag a few Atlantics in my time. Transfering traditional wet fly techniques to the salt has been a very enjoyable and enlightening experience.

But a word or warning before you embark upon this journey.

You must be prepared to walk a very lonely path.

Be ready to face ridicule and disbelief in the car park.

You will be considered Politically Incorrect.

When you are successfull you will be suspected of witchcraft and, well, you might recall what happened at Salem a few years back :eek:

Watching the rerun of the Matrix Trilogy on UK ITV this past couple of nights put things into perspective.

You see there is no turning back.

So, will it be the red pill, or the blue pill?:smokin:

bonefishmon
05-02-2006, 05:13 PM
My goals have changed this year:

#1. Acklins....................in the fall.

#2. Spend more time learning the habits of cow diets...shad.

#3. Save up for the stick required to land the above.

#4. Refrain from dreaming about owning a boat.

#5. Spend more time with the family by fishing out the door.

#6. Quonny Pond and the sightfishing experiences from my Pungo.

Phil

Paxton
05-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Chris...all of us will have trouble with your #3, the man is a machine!!! :)
Adrian.......go for it!!!! maybe we can hook up sometime and not laugh at each other..experimentation is part of the enjoyment!
Ron

porkslice
05-02-2006, 07:40 PM
1. To spend more time on the water than I did last year!

Warren
05-02-2006, 08:25 PM
But a word or warning before you embark upon this journey.

You must be prepared to walk a very lonely path.

Be ready to face ridicule and disbelief in the car park.

You will be considered Politically Incorrect.

Adrian If you acheived such lofty goal you have made it to the top! no matter what the endevor:D

striperstripper
05-04-2006, 02:08 AM
I want to spend more time fishing with my sons, my youngest likes casting the 2hander so I 'm looking for something he can throw, my oldest is not into it as much as he used to be ,snowboarding,surfing and women take up his time and somewhere there's time for school in there but every once in awhile he still gets the urge.I want to spend more time fishing the backside like I did years ago,I want to spend more time on south nauset via the sand chariot.