Chatham in July [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chatham in July

Warren
05-02-2006, 05:56 AM
How is the fishing in the area in July?

My friend & I are thinking of taking a trip down to the Chatham area in July to fish off the shore for Stripers. Our plan is to take the Rip Ryder to Monomoy & fish from there.

Is there a place to Tent Camp nearby or do we need to fork over the bucks & stay at a motel?

Since I cannot make the Spring Clave for a Recon I figure this is the best place to start planning.

Warren

Paxton
05-02-2006, 06:42 AM
Warren.....July in Chatham can be great and it can be challenging...but there are always fish to be found...they can at times just get a bit picky. Either way, on the flats you will see at least 100 fish per 6 hr + outing (bring polarized glasses - a must). In my very humble opinion, I prefer South Beach as opposed to Monomoy....both are great, but SB gives you more low tide options(fishing the drops) and a surf side option....locations are about 1/4 mile apart at most and both accessed by Rip Ryder.
Until the bunker arrive, flies of my choice are olive over white and tan over white sand eel patterns ranging from 1 1/2 inches to 31/2 inches....tie up some sparse ones as well (esp for Monomoy)...I like the tan on bright days once the sun is 1/2 way up.....also some olive shrimp patterns (about 1 1/2 inches on a # 4 hook) Look up Bender shrimp on this site......it's a very successful pattern and I've had great results with it at low tide times, just drifting it over the drop and bars and or over grass.
Fish are at both locations thru October and don't forget to fish Morris Island late afternoon/early evening once you get off the shuttle...throwing gurglers in lower light can be a blast.
Ron

Paxton
05-02-2006, 06:45 AM
PS: I don't know on any local camp sites, maybe others do......Chatham motels are more pricy...but maybe a long stay can cut you a deal...or head towards Dennisport (20 min away) for prices in the 50-60 range per night.
Ron

juro
05-02-2006, 07:06 AM
Camp just up the road a ways at Nickerson State Park on 6A. Also hit the bayside flats, but mind the tides which are virtually twice the soundside. The campsite is convenient for both.

June would be better fishing, even late May. Then again in late August early September - but July is the quintessential flats experience :)

BigDave
05-02-2006, 08:12 AM
If you are planning to find a campsite at Nickerson in July you will want to make a reservation asap.

Plenty of motels in Harwich for $40 bucks a guy if you look around. Wishing Well and Sea Breeze come to mind...

Warren
05-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Thanks fellas for the info. Since I am rained out for the day workwise, I am gonna get on the phone & Google to see about lodging.

What better way top spend a rainey day. Fishing or planning a fishing trip?:D

juro
05-02-2006, 08:46 AM
There is also a private campground on 6a a little to the west, shady acres or something. I prefer Nickerson but the latter has better amenities depends on what you are after.

If you have a 4x4, camper and toilet you can overnight throughout the year (n days at a time) on Nauset for under $200.

striperstripper
05-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Nonresident self contained OSV permits are now $250.00 to drive south nauset.Non resident OSV permits for single night or day use are $180.00.Still a bargin considering during the week there's a good chance you will have the place to yourself.:chuckle: :hihi: :smokin:

GregD
05-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Hello,

I thought Nickerson was closed early season this year due to extensive damage from a wind storm this past December around 1 million $$ damage. Our group had to go camp elsewhere this year. Perhaps when you get down it will be completely opened up again. But area 6 were we usually camp was closed for tree removal and repairs.

I know there was a private campground up near Wellfleet called Payne's campground. Probably good location for Nauset to Coast Guard beach area. The only other one I know is called Myles Standish or something like that in South Carver.

I think there might be a spot by the CC canal too, But I think camping options are limited.

Greg.

Rip Ryder
05-02-2006, 09:55 PM
The two other closest options for camping other than Nickerson are Sweetwater on Rt 124, turn north of Exit 10 heading towards Brewster. Then as Juro mentioned, Shady knoll at the end of Rt 137 on Rt 6A. Nickerson is coming along, but not sure when it will open completely. Lots of clean up activity there recently.

Warren
05-03-2006, 05:02 AM
Once again thank you for the replies. I'll get cracking & find us a place to stay.

kennebecfly
05-03-2006, 05:34 AM
I have stayed both at Nickerson and Sweet water Forest both are close to the fish and would recommend either.

juro
05-03-2006, 08:45 AM
I can give you some unofficial camping spots as well but I can't mention them in the presence of the law (our fine captain is also a police officer) :hihi: ;)

Warren
05-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Now your talkin' Juro.....The forbidden is always better:devil:

Chris
05-04-2006, 08:58 AM
Sweetwater Forest has been a good spot for us on several trips. If tipping a drink is important private is the way to go. State parks and campgrounds prohibit drinking.