Batenkill MA in Salt? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Batenkill MA in Salt?

LSU-Fan
04-30-2006, 11:08 PM
I am setting up a Salt Outfit on a budget, and was wondering if any of you had any experience with the Battenkill Mid Arbor in the Salt. Does it have a sealed drag? from what I've read, there are pros and cons to this. Any info would be great.

Also the Albright GP is in the same price range is it salt worthy? I know nothing is salt proof, but with the right care could these reels handle it?

Thanks
Brian

BigDave
05-01-2006, 08:32 AM
I don't have any firsthand experience with those models but the Tioga LA and Reddington Brakewater would be 2 other options to consider.

Warren
05-01-2006, 07:59 PM
I have one & looked at the drag . It does not look like it is sealed to me. I also looked at the parts drawing and it is just discs & plates. No mention of any seals. It really looks to be a fresh water reel. In all fairness mine is a small one for a 4wt trout rod. But the instruction & parts book is for all sizes by the looks of things. If I did use it in the salt I would wash it very well after use. And ensure the center shaft & bearing is greased up good with reel grease.

The catolog states the following. "Hard anodized finish. Salt water proof, Virtually Maintenence free, etc..." What ever that means.

Warren

Dave17
05-01-2006, 08:12 PM
When I started fishing SW I began by using a Battenkill. It didn't last the season. In all fairness this was about ten years ago and the reel could be totally different. Back then there were about ten different types of metal that made up the drag system and it would start to fuse together after almost every outing (lots of little metal pieces too).

LSU-Fan
05-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the input, I found a Local fly shop in New Orleans and talked to manager. He uses and recommends them, they do not have a sealed drag, but if taken care of regularly will last.

-Brian