Shorts for wading? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Shorts for wading?

josko
04-30-2006, 04:19 PM
For some reason I always wear long pants while wading flats for bonefish. I'm thinking about shorts, but wonder if there's some reason that would not be a good idea. So does anybody wade in shorts, or is there a reason not to?

mdbones
04-30-2006, 11:00 PM
I wade in shorts (some type of Columbia's) almost always - the only time that I would not consider it would be during those springtime trips to Andros - Dr. Flies are just to thick at that location. Other than that its always shorts and sunscreen.

Mike

juro
04-30-2006, 11:47 PM
Sometimes the jellyfish blooms are thick as thieves on the northern flats, not to mention the fact that sunscreen would be a losing battle with the legs in the water in any climate. I don't think the fish would like to be coming upcurrent toward you with all that stuff trailing down current and I like to be up current.

Adrian
05-01-2006, 02:24 AM
I like to wade in shorts but use a good waterproof sunblock. Like Juro says you have to keep it topped up and keeping the smell off flies and leader is important. I wouldn't wear shorts in the Yucatan. Those that have been there know why:lildevl: I guess every location has its seasonal share of blood-sucking critters.

I actually think you can be more stealthy in shorts - long pants kick out a lot more vibes than bare skin.

teflon_jones
05-01-2006, 07:50 AM
I wear pants just to prevent sunburn. If you're wearing the tropical breath-easy kind, it's not really much different than wearing shorts.

BigDave
05-01-2006, 09:58 AM
No good reason not to wear shorts as long as you don't forget the sunscreen.

Eddie
05-02-2006, 05:20 PM
I wear shorts when I am not afraid of sunburn.

petevicar
05-03-2006, 02:52 AM
After experiencing severe sunburn on my legs I always wear long trousers.
But not too long as they can catch in the wading boots.
I currently use Patagonia. Like Columbia and Ex Officio the dry very very quickly but they are a little shorter.
Its a bit like wearing long trousers that look silly. In England we call it half mast.

Pete

juro
05-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Well that explains the face mask in Exuma :hihi:

I am seriously going to get one - the face is getting beat to heck by sun and I am starting with an ugly mug to boot.

I wear shorts when I am not afraid of sunburn.

josko
05-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Doctor flies! That's why I don't wear shorts wading! I learned that lesson today.