First trout outing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: First trout outing

Dble Haul
04-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Sometimes a guy just has to go fishing.....

After a long week at work, I hit a local river on the way home. I hiked several hundred yards to get away from the sounds of civilization and started to fish with my three weight rod. A few hours of fishing yielded three browns and a nice rainbow. All browns came on hendrickson nymphs, and the rainbow on a parachute hendrickson dry.

It was so peaceful that I really didn't want to leave. Sitting there and watching the riseforms of the rainbow helped me to figure out it's lie and the best possible angle of presentation. I didn't trout fish at all in 2005, and after this evening's fishing I really regret that. I'm still a pike/bass and saltwater guy at heart, but the variety and beauty of trout fishing won't be ignored in 2006 like it was last year.

I also realized that I don't need to double haul a delicate three weight. Force of habit.....:roll:

John Desjardins
04-29-2006, 08:51 PM
Hi Mark, was that a river a little to the east of you? If it was its a nice one.

teflon_jones
04-30-2006, 01:23 AM
Last year my only trout was a stocked one from a pond down the street from me, though I did get a few landlocked salmon. I definitely need to get out on some rivers and streams this year! I pretty much exclusively trout fished for about 8 years or so at one point but I've been addicted to the bass for the last couple of years.

Dble Haul
04-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Hi Mark, was that a river a little to the east of you? If it was its a nice one.

Actually, this was a little river a bit to the southwest of me, one that sees hardly any anglers a few weeks after opening day. There are many like it here in central CT, and I'd like to explore more of them.