Season starts on the Cape [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Season starts on the Cape

capeflydoc
04-25-2006, 10:33 PM
For those of you who don't get the Cape Cod Times, there was a nice front page picture of the first schoolies on fly in Chatham. No, Craig is not related to me, except for his passion to "fly"
Ed
http://www.capecodonline.com/

flydoc
04-25-2006, 11:19 PM
Wouldn't ya know- the guy is a patient of mine. I'll have to give him a "special exam" :eek: for beating me to the fish while I was stuck in the office.
Flydoc
P.S.- just kidding, he's really a prince of a guy. Does alot of great wildlife art.

Chris Puma
04-26-2006, 03:12 PM
I need to take a small break from the office...

Anyone suggest best couple of days in the month of May to fish in Chatham?

Adrian
04-26-2006, 05:25 PM
That's easy - join us for Spring Clave :smokin: You will pick up a lot of local knowledge that will set you up nicely for future visits.

It looks like the Schoolies have already arrived and larger fish are on the move.

The week-end following spring clave is Labor day and it can get a bit crazy (i.e. seriously crowded) but things tend to calm down again until July 4th.

The spring is a wonderful time of reawakening and transition. Fishing should be fairly consistent but remember it's a migration and fish that are here today are gone tommorow. There are a number of spots where fish congegate for extended periods at this time of year. As we move into the summer, things settle down but this brings different challenges i.e. it can be very tough (frustrating, aggravating, irritating etc...) but the rewards can be magical.

The fall brings another time of transition as the fish migrate South but again it can produce some of the biggest fish of the year.

The unfolding season after the winter "doldrums" is a wonderful thing. Everyone has their favorite times but for me, any couple of days between mid May and late October would be a good time to be in Chatham.

Now where did I put that lottery ticket:D

PopnesetBay
04-26-2006, 09:55 PM
This past weekend picked up 5 on Sat PM, at the turn Lo to Hi, casting from shore high up into Waquoit Bay. Smallest, just bigger than fly (10") the other 4 were lo to mid 20's. Bright but no lice. Two of them had recent, but healed, substantial scale removal on their sides. Sunday AM, same general area, Hi to Lo turn got 2 more, mid 20's then the monsoons hit and went back to cottage. Mon AM tried out new (to me) rod, casting from beach by Popponesett Inn. Landed one very bright 20"er and lost a better one. Knew I should have retied the fly as the first had really inhaled it and I think second broke off just in front of fly. 7" herring fly. Monday water was very dirty and both hits were on the early strips.