Kudos to Ross Reels [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Kudos to Ross Reels

doogue
04-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Hi Folks,

Ross just returned my two Big Game 5 reels after a short stint in the Ross repair shop.

I have to say that come the Fall run, when I am fishing before and after work, I just don't rinse the reels as often as I should.

If you want to see what happens to your reels after 6 years of abuse (and only mild cleaning) in the salt then check out the attached photo. Not pretty.

Before repair the drags had 2 settings: really stiff and really, really stiff. After servicing (for free by the way) the reels are like new.

Kudos to Ross for putting up with me.

Just FYI,

Mike

Eddie
04-25-2006, 09:51 PM
that reel looks...tortured. Ross has excellent customer service.

Spock
04-26-2006, 10:31 AM
I have been fishing in the salt for over 20yrs and if you clean your equipment and take care of it it will last. I love Ross Reels and the service i get from them.

juro
04-26-2006, 11:15 AM
I am a Ross BG owner (2) and love their commitment to service. However I have to mention that the issue is less one of care than design in this case, because the chamber behind the drag knob and the internals is not truly sealed nor is it serviceable by owners. Thus moisture that penetrates this chamber is not removeable despite any amount of post-trip care and eventually contributes to excessive corrosion especially with salt.

I am very attentive and careful with my BG's and they both exhibit the drag tightening problem, and although not serviceable one can probe into the chamber and find that a qtip soaked with oil will come out red with corrosion.

Mike, how did you get the assy apart? I was told this assy is not serviceable without a special tool used at the factory.

doogue
04-26-2006, 05:20 PM
Fellas,

I have to say that I do double rinse the reels after 95% of the trips that I take to the salt. I either double rinse (2nd rinse 5 minutes after the 1st when the salt is dissolved) or I soak the reel for 10-20 minutes. I soak the reels after 50% of my trips but - as Ross mentions in their care instructions - they recommend a 20 minute soak after every use.

I just cannot seem to keep salt out of these reels if I do not soak them. I had one of the reels serviced 3 years ago with the same problem. Before last year I was religious in my maintenance routine (soaked the reel after every use).

But since I only need to get the reels serviced every 3 years or so I just live with any flaws that may be present either with the reel or with my dedication to cleanliness!

Juro, Ross serviced the reels and then sent the old parts back to me in an effort to motivate me to improve my post salt care routine. I did not take the reel apart but I am sure that we could figure out how to disassemble it. :lildevl:

As a reminder Ross recommends the following after saltwater use:

1. The 2 halves of the reel (spool and frame) should be separated and soaked in warm fresh water for 20 minutes after use.

2. Always loosen the drag and the spool lock when soaking the reels (which I do).

3. Never store the reel with spool and frame assembled unless you are sure that all moisture has dried from the reels.

I will go back so soaking after every trip in the future. The folks at work that gather around the hot water dispenser for tea will laugh at me for filling up a bowl with a reel in it but who cares about what they think!

Thanks,

Mike

salmo
04-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Mike,

If you are going to buy in the future a new reel, take a look at Danielsson reels.
For much less you don't have to pay so much attention to washing your reels meticulously with a fresh water.

mugsy
04-27-2006, 01:14 AM
I got my Ross BG back from the factory just before Acklins trip. Great service, same advise on soak, etc. I followed the advise religiously during Acklins trip - to the point of getting razzed by fellow fishermen. (I was using a sauce pan for the soak, and was informed that I would have something more tasty to stew up if I could catch a fish!). Still resulted in a stiff/sticky drag ( and the soup was terrible!). I agree with Juro, it is a design problem that I hope Ross will fess-up to and correct. I find myself trying to avoid the Ross and using my Nautilus reels which I haven't had any problems with and they have had a lot more use with just a simple quick rinse off.

Adrian
04-27-2006, 01:45 AM
Looks like my BG is going to have to go back despite religious overnight soaking per recommendations etc. Its fine until stripping line which results in a nasty ear piercing "squeek". It was fine when I put it away (or so I thought) at the end of last season. I noticed the squeek when doing some casting practice in the yard a few weeks ago.

Glad to hear about their customer service.

Looks like a Danielson is in the cards.

Hey, where's my bonus? :smokin:

doogue
04-27-2006, 04:14 PM
So I am not just a slacker.:hihi:

It is a little tough to keep these boys salt free.

I have 2 of these reels (long story involving the now dead desire to teach friends to fly fish the salt) and they are decent reels. But you have to soak them!

flysully
04-28-2006, 07:07 PM
I, and my buddy, like the rest of you, although trying to adhere to Ross' instructions, admit that we do not "soak for 20 minutes" both frame and spool after fishing. When you're fishing as much as we do, and maybe coming in after midnight, dissassembling the reel and letting it soak in a pot for 20 minutes seems like a bit much. I feel a good wash with a soapy brush and fresh water rinse should be adequate, as with other reels. I also feel that to soak the spool for 20 min. after each fishing session will just lead to rot of the backing. I can't see how 200 yards of backing can dry before my next outing. I do totally agree that Ross has the best customer service. I just received my BG reel back, perfectly serviced at no charge, with only a two day turnaround time. It would be even better, however, if it didn't require any service at all.