Rainy days break the bank [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rainy days break the bank

Warren
04-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Woke up today, it was cold & raining, so Wifey and I loaded up the car, went over to Manchester VT to see the Museum of Flyfishing. Nice place to visit if you have the chance. Of course the world famous Orvis store & rodshop conveintly located is next door. So wifey & I wandered over there to have a look at the trout that swim inside the store. Yes they have a cool inside trout pool. There was hardly anyone there so I took a couple of rods out in the rain to cast them in the pond.

I have been kinda wanting a medium action short trout rod for some time now so I figured I would try one out. What harm could that do? "I was just looking" I told the Frank the salesman.

I tried the Power matrix 4 wt 7 footer, it was nice rod especially with a good amount of line out, but i did not like the short line performance. Like ten feet or so of line out. I want a small stream brookie rod. The next rod was a Superfine 4Wt 7 foot full flex Trout Bum. I casta few times & it felt good. Hmm, I like it so far......So I roll cast a few times at different lengths & liked it. The wind was blowing straight at me so I let out 30 or so feet of line. It cast that real nice. Hmm I said......I was in love.

To make a long story short. I came home with that rod, a new Mid Arbor Battenkill reel spooled up with a WF floating line, a stripping basket for the Roddy Icebreaker and a few tying items I was looking for. So much for just looking. Just came in from casting on the lawn between heavy rains. I am still in love

Hopefully I finish up my job early tommorrow so I can go throw a fly at some brookies on the way home:biggrin:

Warren

Dble Haul
04-24-2006, 08:06 AM
There are worse things to spend your money on. :wink:

juro
04-24-2006, 08:12 AM
Years later the price you paid will seem so economical compared to the hours and days of pleasure it's delivered. That's how I justify it anyway :lildevl: