WTB, Pate parts..... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: WTB, Pate parts.....

Jamey McLeod
04-22-2006, 09:44 PM
Looking for a left hand drive axel/gear for a vintage solid spool Pate Salmon. I know its a long shot, but if anybody has one, or a lead on somebody that does, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks......

Eddie
04-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Have youtried Tibor? Bill Archulettas could pobably come up with something.

Philster
04-23-2006, 10:11 PM
I'm with Eddie. Send the reel to tibor. I think the current conversion is around $120, and for another $30 or so, they'll overhaul the reel for you. This can be only cleaning and regreasing, or it can mean new cork, or even replacing the brass axle bushing if that's what's needed. At least that's the way it used to be before the old man walked into the sunset...

Jamey McLeod
04-27-2006, 04:56 PM
The reel is brand new, works fine. Only problem is that its RHR, I'm LHR. Would rather avoid paying the $120.00, for a $5.00 axel.

Eddie
04-27-2006, 07:39 PM
In that case, you should just reel with your right hand. Free, Efficient and Easy. Or hold the reel upside down.:wink:

Jamey McLeod
04-30-2006, 08:59 AM
In that case, you should just reel with your right hand. Free, Efficient and Easy. Or hold the reel upside down.:wink:

You forgot to mention impossible also, atleast for me. Fighting fish with my left hand/arm isn't pretty either, I may as well start writing left handed also :hihi: .

juro
04-30-2006, 09:10 AM
Back in my PNW days I would go for halibut and big lingcod a couple times a year. We are talking Penn Senator reels with the eyes to put a strap around your neck, 100# dacron and 32 oz lead balls with whole horse herring on 10/0 gamkatsus lowered over 300 ft into the dark pacific depths.

These reels come only in right hand retrieve that I knew of but I always reeled a fly reel on the left side. One day someone handed me a LH reel on their boat rod on a halibut trip that was left-hand retrieve and I could barely crank it in! Strange how we get accustomed to certain things even if they are opposite each other!

Jamey McLeod
04-30-2006, 11:03 PM
Back in my PNW days I would go for halibut and big lingcod a couple times a year. We are talking Penn Senator reels with the eyes to put a strap around your neck, 100# dacron and 32 oz lead balls with whole horse herring on 10/0 gamkatsus lowered over 300 ft into the dark pacific depths.

These reels come only in right hand retrieve that I knew of but I always reeled a fly reel on the left side. One day someone handed me a LH reel on their boat rod on a halibut trip that was left-hand retrieve and I could barely crank it in! Strange how we get accustomed to certain things even if they are opposite each other!

Could hardly imagine moving to Great Britain, I would doubt they make Ford pickups in right hand drive either.