Honduras Tarpon [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Honduras Tarpon

SILVERSCALES
04-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Not having hardly any experience in tropical saltwaters, I was wondering if any one could give me an idea of what I would be getting myself into by going down there and hunting the silver king. Any info would be awseome. Thanks very much.

Silverscales

formula1
04-22-2006, 11:19 PM
I've heard they have some very big tarpon and it's a fairly virgin area as far as I know. I'd read that Billy Pate had fished that area a bit after hearing about some of the tarpon there, in hopes of scoring a world record but it never came to fruition - supposedly the toads there are laid up fish that are difficult to feed. If you are looking at getting some tarpon that are not too difficult personally I'd recommend Costa Rica - not traditional flats type fishing but the tarpon are much easier to feed. Personally I love the Keys but they are not the easiest fish to feed for a beginner unless you are a pretty good caster. Now this is as far as flyfishig goes...if you're willing to bait fish that opens up possibilities. If you happen to be in Honduras then by all means go for it...but if you have a choice then there are any number of good guides in the Keys for example that are excellent at using bait (much easier than flyfishing) and you can be almost assured of getting a tarpon if you book a few days.

SILVERSCALES
04-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Formula,

Thanks for the info, it's just that I might have an opportunity to be down there and fish for some 'poons. The 11 wt would be my main soldier.

Good fishing,

Silverscales