(no FF) Anyone have bone graft for teeth done? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: (no FF) Anyone have bone graft for teeth done?

juro
04-21-2006, 10:35 AM
I had a crown crack apart recently and not sure if there is enough left to re-post. Might have to have a graft / post done. Anyone ever have it?

flydoc
04-21-2006, 02:17 PM
No, but it sounds like it would hurt like $&*@!:Eyecrazy:
"Don't forget those Percs, doc!"
Flydoc

BigDave
04-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Is this something that cannot be fixed with Zap a Gap or Aquaseal?

JimW
04-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Forget the bone, it's weak, broke once already. Marine tex or better yet - go the titainium post route, I think Smitty could elaborate on that method.

Smcdermott
04-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Juro,

I am surprised. I would have thought you would want to search out and discover the experience on your own without clouding it with others own opinions. Does your dentist have two handed tools? :lildevl: .

Sean

juro
04-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Dude you got it backwards! "Clouded" implies a lack of vision and it's those who follow in a narrow path behind icons who do not hear any fresh opinions, (right or wrong) preaching one-way and one-way only. I've been the one with the differing opinions, not the conventional as you would imply...

Throughout history, all meaningful advances were made by one type of thinking, despite resistance from the other.

FWIW I will post a brief analysis on the current reconstruction approaches, faults and my proposal for improvement that the endodontic surgeon thought was a great idea (Harvard Med). It won't benefit me of course but it might benefit someone down the road, or it might not. Can't type it right now as it's long and detailed. You are welcome to rebut it when posted.

It might not be interesting to the "flouride generation" (my kids have had like 3 cavities between them their whole lives) but for me it's a fairly serious thing as I might be up against this soon. :razz:

Adrian
04-21-2006, 04:34 PM
All I can offer here is to say thank God you live in the USA where Dental treatment is world class. By contrast, what I used to get in the U.K. can best be described as one step above barbaric. It might have improved in recent years but I'm not inclined to find out:lildevl:

Oddly enough, my best experience with foreign dentists came in in Sao Paolo Brazil. I had an old wisdom tooth socket decide to flare up on me half way through the flight down from Miami and by the time we got to the hotel I really didn't care what country I was in. Cut a long story short, a 45 minute cab ride into the depths of one of the world's biggest cities put me back in the land of the living. I recieved a level of care that can only be described as spectacular. I think it cost me $10 US.

You're goiong to have to get used to it Bro. Old age is a bitch! But don't ever let it get the better of you :lildevl:

Somehow I don't think you will:smokin:

I think if I every had a chance to start again I would be an endodontist. I had a couple of root canals done and I reckon this guy was clearing about $850 and hour. Now, he did have some fairly nifty equipment but that's still aint bad. He only worked about 20 hrs a week. Lived in Westport CT and did a lot of sailing .. ....

nmbrowncom
04-21-2006, 05:10 PM
juro, most of my teeth on the upper right part of my mouth are implants using a graft from my hip. i did it about 10 or 12 years ago and not a problem at all. neal

Jere Eshelman
04-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Juro, My being only a lowly GP, I'd need a little more information before adding my 2 cents. Send me a PM tonight if possible, I'm leaving in the morning for the Skagit, Sauk. Or better yet, Meet me at Rockport Steelhead Park for the gathering on Saturday 29th. for a consultation.

JimW
04-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Absolutely serious about the titanium implants, Marinetex was a joke but it's tough as nails. From what I understand about procedure there is a post connected to the jaw that the crown is then affixed to.

Good luck with it however you procede.

Paxton
04-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Sorry to hear of your problem Juro.....I just went thru a similar thing.....broke a molar(below gum line) so crown was out.....so....2 weeks ago, had the tooth pulled and an implant screwed into the jaw. I don't know about a graft....but to fill the hole in the jaw, they used a bone composition (cadaver-yuk!!!)...it will take about 3 months for the bone in the jaw to grow around and secure the implant...then a crown......so far I'm into it for $3,000!!!! and then the crown....you have any idea how much gas that would buy to go to the Cape???!!! I sure as heck would rather spend it that way...what a rip off....I roofed my house last year for 6 grand....the *&^%$#@!!'n tooth is 2 grand less! Guess they don't go by square footage :mad:
Ron

Jere Eshelman
04-22-2006, 06:09 AM
Juro, I sent a PM but you'll have to clear your mailbox. I'm sure that all the dentists that fish have responded to your problem with as many solutions and recommendations. Good luck. Gone Fishing.

juro
04-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Jere -

Thanks very much I will clear my PM box and look forward to hearing what you have to say doc!

Eddie
04-22-2006, 09:03 PM
A Dentist friend of mine told me today that you can go to India and get dentistry done for cheap. They even put youup in a nice hotel to recuperate. You could make an exotic vacation out of it. YIKES!!!!:eek:

Greg Pavlov
04-23-2006, 11:07 AM
A Dentist friend of mine told me today that you can go to India and get dentistry done for cheap. They even put youup in a nice hotel to recuperate. You could make an exotic vacation out of it. YIKES!!!!:eek:
Major elective surgery (hip replacments, knee replacements, etc) is an
up-and-coming field for outsourcing. Costs tend to run about a third of what
they are in the US or Europe and the quality of the work is supposed
to be quite good.

Penguin
04-23-2006, 12:59 PM
You could have ALL your teeth yanked and run your food through a 3 HP "Binford 5000" Vita-Mixer Total Nutrition Centre...SMOOTH!? :eek:

If you opt for the titanium implant$...there's a dentist in Elbowtown who does that procedure and well!
(You could time your appointments around the tides and kill two birdz with one stone...)

BTW...
I've been hearing ALOT of sirens this weekend...
Ambulences roaring down rt28 headed for the Hyannis ER...
Carrying, I suspect, chest grabbing victims of "gaspumpstickershockitis"...:whoa: