Fly Fishing Forum banner

Healthy habaneros

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Salsa is awesome stuff! It tastes great and is good for you... it contains lycopene which has been shown to combat prostate cancers. It contains other nutrients and it tastes like something that is bad for you. It can be a little high in sodium depending on brand but otherwise a great thing to enjoy for a little zesty snack.

example
SALSA NUTRITION FACTS:
2 Tbsp (30g)
Calories: 10
Total Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 90mg
Carbs: 2g
Sugars: 0g

The problem is the CHIPS. I give myself two or three of the biggest chips I can find in the bag. I use them as scoops and enjoy a good amount of fresh salsa, not the kind that is over in the chip aisle but the ones over with the taboules and hummus etc.

I indulge in the salsa but stick to the three chips. When they are eaten I am done. Funny how tiny of a bite I can take, and how fast the salsa goes down.

The bag of chips however lasts forever so I had to get a chip clip so they stay fresh for that long. Used to be the other way around - chips gone, salsa still there.

Salsa also makes egg white omelets taste great too - I use the verde salsa a lot on my egg white omelets. A slice or two of Canadian bacon (low fat, high protein, no carbs). If you must have bread, which I do not, then try a half of a Joseph's low carb protein pita toasted with some Smart Balance fake butter spray on it. Crisp and tasty.

I found that for me the bread was just a habit and once you focus on the main dish the urge for the bread goes away especially with salads. A sprinkle of slivered almonds on a salad kills the bread urge for me completely.

Once you re-condition the body you can have reasonable portions of anything but that first two weeks training your body (and mind) to not rely on those foods that bloat our fat cells is very important.

It's amazing how the body gets used to not having things and in fact you tend to prefer the way you feel when you only consumed the good stuff - if you hang in there long enough to condition your body that way. Amazing how fast the pounds drop off when you get to that mode of low carb / high protein eating as well.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.