Big fish of the year [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Big fish of the year

teflon_jones
04-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Well, I tried out my second favorite local fishing hole for the second time this year, though the first time was a minimal trip at best. The first fish of the day was the one that got away. :( She was a monster bass and the only glimpse I got of her was her side as she surfaced after hitting my minnow imitation, then promptly threw it and disappeared. I switched to something different figuring that I'd only hooked her for a second and she might hit again, but she wasn't having it.

I kept fishing around the lake and got about 6 small bass in the 12" range, then was drifting through the same area again in the float tube where I lost the cow when I got another big thump on the minnow imitation. It hit at the start of the retrieve when I had a good amount of line out so I had a good fight on my hands. I could tell it was a big one again, especially after a spectacular jump not very far into the fight. It was timed perfectly for the guy on the bank to see it too and he gave a big hoot and a wave. :) Not too long after I brought to hand a bass that went a solid 19" and probably weighed about 4 lbs. :D

I started out last year around this time with a 5.5 lb fish and I was hoping to top the 6 lb mark this year, but if this is my big bass of the year, I'll take a 4 lb'er.

Charlie
04-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Very cool Scott,

What fly did you get it on?

Charlie.

teflon_jones
04-21-2006, 09:17 PM
I got her on a fly of my own design, not sure exactly what to call it. It's basically a shallow running bucktail design in white and grey with some flash. It's almost a diver but I trim the head down far enough that it has neutral or very slightly positive buoyancy.

Quentin
04-22-2006, 11:48 AM
. . . I brought to hand a bass that went a solid 19" and probably weighed about 4 lbs. :D . . .

Nice! I tried one of my favorite early season bass spots on Thursday evening. I saw several bass, up to a couple of pounds or so, but couldn't get them to hit anything I showed them. They would follow and look at the flies, and sometimes even "sniff" at them, but wouldn't quite eat. Because of the brush along the shore I had to get very close to the fish to get the fly to them, so I'm not sure if they were just spooked or my leader was too heavy or I didn't show them the right fly. It was still nice to see some bass in the shallows.

Q

teflon_jones
04-24-2006, 07:43 AM
It was still nice to see some bass in the shallows.
I still haven't really seen many bass in the shallows, they tend to hang a bit deeper. I don't know what the water temps are at my local holes but they seem to be a few degrees below spawning temps still.