Weighted flies in the Gaspe? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Weighted flies in the Gaspe?

Fontinalis
04-20-2006, 02:26 PM
I've recently heard that weighted flies are off limits on Gaspe salmon. Is this true?

I presume this means that bead and cone heads are no-nos.

What I was wondering is this:

I have tied a lot of tube flies this year. I plan to fish them for everything from brookies to lakers to....salmon. I know that those tied on plastic tubes are ok, but what about flies tied on 1.5 inch brass tubes? Or bottle tubes (also metal)?
What constitutes a weighted fly?

I could swear that I remember my guide tying cone head flies on my tippet last fall, and that some flies were certainly pretty heavy...

I'm sure that someone will suggest that I go read the regs, but on my first pass through I didn't find the info I'm looking for. Quebec salmon regs are about as arcane as city building codes!:Eyecrazy:

Thanks and cheers!
T

Salar-1
04-20-2006, 06:40 PM
T
Your brass and plastic ones are OK .DON'T uses the Bottle variety.

Cheers
Brian
PS : also PM'd you on this subject

Fontinalis
04-20-2006, 08:34 PM
interesting Brian!

Bottle tubes are actually much lighter than brass tubes. Any idea how the distinction is made?:confused:

PS I didn't receive the PM.

Salar 33
04-21-2006, 08:33 AM
Dear T,

I found this copy of the Quebec regulations that is good through 2007. According to this, no weight of any kind would be permitted if the weight was used to sink the fly. I think that brass would fall into this category. Also something I always thought was that treble hooks were limited to size 6. This is not mentioned.

A key factor of these rules is the use of wire. I have avoided using wire for ribbing because I believed it could be considered weight. It seems perfectly legal according to the rules.

C.R.O.

SEE SECTION "F"

http://www.mrn.gouv.qc.ca/english/publications/online/wildlife/fishing-regulations/pdf/regles-partenaires_An.pdf#search='quebec%20salmon%20fishi ng%20hook%20regulations'

Fontinalis
04-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Copied straight from the Quebec salmon regs (I finally found them).

It seems that having metal wire on the fly is OK (specifically says it is). Also, no weights to facilitate sinking. I think that brass tubes used for tube flies are questionable in this regard as the tube is for the base of the fly itself and not "added weight". What's the difference between using a long-shanked heavy hook for a fly vs. a copper or brass tube with a vey short-shanked hook? Weight-wise the brass tube may be only marginally more (talking light brass tubes and bottles here, obviously there are some really heavy tubes out there).

I'm surprised to read that trebles are ok! Not that I want to use them, I'm just surprised.

Finally, does unweighted lines mean that sink-tips are not allowed, and line must be floating only?

When fishing for salmon in Québec, only angling is permitted.
In general, angling is practiced using a line equipped
with lures, hooks or flies, baited or not. Hooks may be
single, double or triple. A lure or fly counts as a hook. A line
must not have more than three hooks.
Note: When angling in the salmon rivers of Zones 23 and 24, a
line must not have more than a single, double or triple hook
or more than a lure with a single, double or triple hook
“FLY FISHING ONLY” – Certain stretches of salmon rivers
are accessible for fly fishing only. In this case, when fly
fishing, you must abide by the following rules:
– you must use rods equipped with unweighted lines with
only one artificial fly*;