the Sint Maartener is back...with a vengeance! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: the Sint Maartener is back...with a vengeance!

webstain
04-19-2006, 09:53 PM
Hi guys,

Here is the Sint Maarten Tarpon report for last week :

Saturday from 4 to 6 pm

Place : Philipsburg great salt pond

Weather : Slightly Overcast, breezy

Flies used : Local version of the TOAD, Fluo Green Shrimp, and whatever was left in the box (they were crazy, we counted more than 25 strikes, got to release 10 fish, and broke the rest of the time...lagoon tarpon not agressive? Yeah Right!)

After 10 very busy days (got to work sometimes....:frown: ), got back to fish for a few hours with a friend, I was between a meeting and a dinner, and totally unprepared (leader not tied, camera batteries empty, no time to select proper flies and tie new ones, etc...). Well...I did not regret it.

THESE FISH WERE CRAAAAAAZZZZYYY!!!

Most of the time, the fly landed on the water where no Tarpon was to be seen, and before we could finish the first strip....BAM! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

All fish released had either the fly deep inside the mouth or locked in the corner (we were using 1/0 flies but had quickly to change for bigger 2/0 and 3/0 flies).

My friend had the good idea of brigging a onetime use camera and took pictures of a few fish (not easy when you get your hands full of slime:eek:

Leader had also to be upgraded from 40 to 50lb, at the end of the day the big ones came into the dance, and these guys are not kidding.

To give you an idea the biggest fish was close to 40lb....

Pictures will be scanned before the end of the week and posted. This week end I am tying Tarpon flies (lost 12 that day:( ) and will post fly pictures on sundays for the guys going to PR or the caribbean soon.

Bonefish pretty slow b cause wrong tides and no time to prospect...

That's all folks

Till then...tight lines

Jean Marc

juro
04-19-2006, 10:38 PM
Sounds great! Lagoon tarpon are WILD!

Looking forward to the pics.

SteelBoneguy
04-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Thats the Jean I'm talking about! Very cool indeed, can't wait to see the pics. Hopefully I'll have pics figured out by then and I can post some more. Well done Mon!!

Jim