Trouble in tying land [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Trouble in tying land

scruffy_fish
04-19-2006, 09:06 AM
I was listening to NPR on the ride home from work and they had a peice on fly tying.

The Feds are cracking down on importing flies in to the US. Seems that a Canadian tyer had some 30 dozen flies returned to him because thay did not contain a list of the materials used in the construction of each fly and a documented certificate of where the materials came from.

He was interviewed and will be able to provide this information but, he mentioned that anglers cross the border with thousands of flies and if you want to bring them back to the US you better have a list of materials used in each fly and documentation on were the material originated from!!!!!!

Seems that they have found that some flies entering the US have indangered speices ingredients in their construction. This is going to be a ROYAL PAIN IN THE A** for us fly fisherman.

flydoc
04-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Scruffy- may have more to do with over-reaction to the whole bird flu thing, rather than concern over endangered species (see other thread regarding bird flu/tying materials/customs).
Flydoc

scruffy_fish
04-19-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm not so sure, they specifically mentioned endangered speices. I'm not willing to lose my flies because they have jungle cock feathers and I can't document every feather used in a Jock Scott: