Steelhead Fly of the week Black Prince [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Steelhead Fly of the week Black Prince

Charlie
04-19-2006, 09:02 AM
This is an old pattern, thought to have been originated in the late 1800s for fishing on the North Umpqua. The originator seems to be unknown. And after 100 years it is still a popular pattern.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tail: Red hackle barbs.
Rib: Medium Oval silver tinsel.
Body: Rear 1/3: yellow wool; front 2/3; black chenille or wool.
Hackle: Black hackle.
Wing: Black bucktail.

SalmoGairdneri
04-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Great classic pattern & pretty tie. I really like to go with seal fur dubbing for the body and polar bear for the wing. When tied sparse/low water and used on a heavy wire hook, it is a -great- mid-day summer run fly.

What head cement did you use to get that nice result?

Cheers!

-tony

Charlie
04-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Tony,

The head cement is called cellire. I put on 2 coats for this fly.

Glad you like it.

Charlie

flytyer
04-21-2006, 02:26 AM
Charlie,

Once again you posted one of the classic steelhead hairwings, which unfortunately, seems to have gone out of fashion amongst steelhead fishers. It is still a very effective fly, especially as was mentioned Tony, fished during mid-day in bright sun during late summer/early fall right in bouldery runs or the riffly water at the head of a hole. Like Tony, I find it works best tied low-water on small standard salmon irons; but instead of seal dubbing, I prefer to tie it with a slim floss body and with a wing of black goose shoulder.

Omar
04-22-2006, 12:18 AM
Charlie,
Another great classic pattern. I had some success with this pattern this week in a 2/0 size.
I've been enjoying the ties of the week, keep em comming!

Thanks, Ron