West Branch of the Westfield River Easter Sunday [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: West Branch of the Westfield River Easter Sunday

Korean_fly
04-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Hi all, just wanted to post a quick report about the West branch of the Westfield. Pops, my bro, and I got on site about 10 am sunday morning and fished a very nice stretch all by ourselves and away from the fisherman/woman parked along the river. We dragged nymphs and streamers through the morning and till about 2pm without any luck. Come 2 pm the activity just busted open. Hatches of Stones and Mayflies set off about the same time and the browns were very willing! Beautiful day, low water, very clear water, 60 degrees, pretty clear weather, albeit a strong crosswind gusting down the valley at times. Wish I had left the 4weight home and brought the 5 weight. As a side note the brownies were a cool silvery color and almost chrome like I thought. Yellow humpies and light cahills were the flies the trout keyed in on. We had lunch along the riverbank and pops and I couldn't remember a better way to start the season. Anyways I had a great time with the guys and had fun showing my little bro the ropes even though I did more tweaking with his knotted leader and busted off flies than fishing. Anyways if you can, get out there! The stream is crawling with insect activity and hungry trout.

Tight lines everyone!

Adrian

juro
04-18-2006, 07:44 AM
Sounds like an awesome day Adrian! Best way to have a family day I can think of :)

Korean_fly
04-18-2006, 10:10 AM
It was a great day Mr. Mukai. It was great to get out of the city and have a nice day of fishing with the family. It was even better to see my brother Cameron start to get the hang of things and see the wild eyed look on his face when the trout were taking flies off the surface! Life is wonderful!

Adrian

Korean_fly
04-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Just got a call from pops bragging about the 8 rainbow trout 10-14 inches, all caught on nymphs in the riffles on the west branch of the Westfield this afternoon. I hate him...lol and he used "my" 4wt I left at home to catch the trout. He was told the Westfield was stocked 5 days ago while picking up a few flies at the local fly shop. Anyways things sure are heating up. Spring is great!

Adrian