For all the men with Tarponfever [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: For all the men with Tarponfever

arubaman
04-17-2006, 05:42 AM
Reading all the stuff and being in the Netherlands everything is strting to itch... Me 2, me 2!!! I want to be in the carribean too!! it´s allready been to long I haven´t been back home, I just need to get a tropical fish on my flyrod as soon as possible. All the rumours, the catches, the pictures and the little video´s, they just ease the urge a little bit, but they also create a lot of hunger!

Untill then I have no nice stories of Tarpon or Bones beeing caught in some well known place, or maybe beeing caught in the places where there haven´t been much fisherman yet. DIY is still my only option and even a ticket is to expensive at the moment, but as I will once land my first tarpon I thought now would be the right time to share a trophy with you guys I scored on a other sport I like a lot. Next to fishing diving is one of my hobby´s and I once managed to shoot a tarpon after following him for about half an hour. Offcourse I had some more shots at him, but this was the shot I was going for, I took it right at the moment there was a little fish in front of him, the moment the huge bucket opened and the little fish dissapeared, never to be seen again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/arubaman/b0fb4417.jpg

So this is what it will look like when something silver hits your fly, seen from underneath the surface....

wrke
04-17-2006, 08:12 AM
Wonderful shot. I'll be chasing same with flies in the Keys in three weeks.
Thanks.
Bill

juro
04-17-2006, 09:34 AM
That is an AMAZING shot!! Great work, and thanks for sharing.

SteelBoneguy
04-17-2006, 11:46 AM
AWESOME PIC! Next time through your FLY in that big MOUTH!! Tarpon Fever Has no cure!!

Adrian
04-17-2006, 01:04 PM
That's awesome:smokin: I'd like to see more underwater pics like this.

Also pics of our attempts at imitation alongside the real thing in the water:lildevl:

FishHawk
04-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Awesome shot. The photographer in me wants to know if that's a digital image or film. What camera did you use? FishHawk

juro
04-18-2006, 06:49 AM
What I can't get over with tarpon is how hard they hit! Particularly the smaller ones in shallow water. Vicious predators, hit harder with a more deliberate surge in shallow water than any other species I ever fished for with the possible exception of big feeder coho salmon in the pacific, but with ten times the clout and power. Bluefish make a good effort but fall far short in the agility department, and the leaping only rivaled by atlantics and the hottest of hot steel. Top that with a tropical environment and WOW.