RI South Facing Beaches Yesterday ( not fishing) [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: RI South Facing Beaches Yesterday ( not fishing)

artb
04-16-2006, 05:03 AM
I made my first Quonochontaug west-side visit yesterday. It was very foggy but could still see that the south facing beaches took a real pounding this winter part of the bick foundation of the old Coast Guard Station is again exposed. The RIMS area lost a lot of sand and the sand trail is gone in the area. The federal wildlife has already gotten their rope barriers up to protect the Pipping Plovers, because much of the beach is gone the roped areas have been moved, infact the signs the Government put up are within about 6 feet of the RIMS sign that states "Area open for conservation, and Mobile Sportfishing. Yesterday was a club cleanup of the Sand Trail, cleanup, and get the property ready for the coming season. Also planted thousands of rows of beach grass to try and save and build the sand dunes before they are completely gone.It was good to see that there was a real good turnout of members to do the work needed, there had to be 50 members. It is a very bad area this year to navigate even with 4 wheeldrive. I found that my new Xterra can really handle the sand, and much better than the Blazer did. Back is still killing me, but the South Shore Beckons. Juro I will get you there this year if I have to hogtie you.:D Have a new computer so I have to get the picture thing figured out again.

Adrian
04-16-2006, 06:46 AM
Hey Art!

Good to see you up and about:)

Hope to catch up with you this season too.

Tight lines!

juro
04-16-2006, 07:35 AM
Art, as you know I've snuck out there several times over the years and I would be honored to be shown the area with a proper introduction. I am usually trying to duck under the cover of low light to see if I can get to the birds, etc.

Glad to hear your new ride is doing the job! I appreciate the invitation.