Still nice to catch a fish on a dry. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Still nice to catch a fish on a dry.

FishHawk
04-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Fished Ct opening day and went to my UDL spot and had it all to myself until noon when the poachers showed up. Went to another river and caught a nice little bow on a dry. What a wonderful feeling. I know I've heard all the garbage about I use those fish for bait routine. Not a large fish but I still get a rush catching a fish on a dry. Kinda of makes you mellow. Less competition than the saltwater game.
Just my .02. FishHawk

Dble Haul
04-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Bill- Poaching in Connecticut has been a huge problem over the past few seasons. If they were truly poaching, give the CT DEP a call to their hotline. If you don't have their information, I can gladly provide it. Even if an officer doesn't show, enough calls from a single location will show it to be a potential hotbed of illegal activity, which in turn can get someone over there.

Glad to hear of your fishing success. I agree that any trout, no matter what size, is great on a dry.

jfbasser
04-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Good going Hawk...The stripettes were elusive at the "point" but I found them in the "Counters Bay" All within a backcast of the truck!

teflon_jones
04-16-2006, 04:48 AM
Even though I know 90% of a trout's diet is taken sub-surface, I still use a dry probably 90% of the time. :) It's my favorite way to fish for any species, hands down.

Korean_fly
04-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Nice, seems like everyone is catching trout on dries! My pop works 20 minutes from the Farmington and he will be glad to hear the positive news. I hope to head out there soon.

Adrian