Housy 4 15 06 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Housy 4 15 06

Adrian
04-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Hit the Housatonic estuary in the Yaks with Mark (Dble Haul) today and we did pretty good:smokin:

Tide and weather were perfect. Actually it rained quite a bit but we were too busy to notice. When I arrived at Lunchtime to fish the outgoing, Mark was already suffering with Striper thumb.

We headed down river and after a bit of paddling found some willing takers:

http://www.avsharp.com/housy041506/dblhaul.jpg

There were a few bigger fish in the mix. This fatty went 24"

http://www.avsharp.com/housy041506/fat24.jpg

cont'd

Adrian
04-14-2006, 11:03 PM
And a mid-April keepah. This one was a whole lot of fun on my 7wt.

http://www.avsharp.com/housy041506/keepah.jpg

Apologies for the pic quality, just couldn't get the lens dry.

For the next couiple of hours we were hooked up solid. Mostly twinks with the odd fish pushing 20".

A great way to start the season!

juro
04-15-2006, 08:18 AM
NICE!

That does it my striper blood is now officially past simmer and starting to boil... next come the big girls, won't be long now!

I noticed the flowering plum tree has bloomed, but not the apple, then comes the magic cherry bloom.

GregD
04-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Hey way to go guys,

I was working yesterday and stuck finishing up taxes this weekend.
Was hoping to do some kayak fishing with you two again. Perhaps in the next couple of weeks we might find some time to get out together.

Looks like you had a great day on the water to me.

Greg.

Dble Haul
04-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Finally, some fishing!

That's an apple in my mouth in the first picture. I was taking a short break when Adrian suggested I try shooting a few casts with his new TFO seven weight. Being the improvisational fellow that I am, I simply stuck the apple in my mouth and banged a few casts out there. Obviously, one resulted in a small fish, and we have a pic of a fish that fell for a hollow fly and an angler who fell for a macintosh. :roll: :)

What's interesting to note is that with the falling darkness these fish continued to hit right through slack tide. My first few hours on the river (prior to Adrain's arrival) found me using my 350 grain line and needing to barely crawl the fly off the bottom to draw strikes. As the day progressed the fish became far more aggressive and our retrieves didn't have to be slow at all, although the best retrieve was a simple swing with the current.

Greg, you're plan to fish together is good. Let's make it happen.

Sandwich, Gatorade, granola bars, and apples: $12
Gas to get to fishing location: $20
Catching a ridiculous number of fish with a good friend: priceless :smokin:

Quentin
04-16-2006, 08:19 AM
Good news for sure! Thanks for the report. I need to do a bit of work ($$) on my car before I can make any long trips, but I sure have been tempted to head down to the coast these past couple of weekends. Guess I'd better get the car fixed!

Q

Slinger
04-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Mark, the apple goes in the fishs mouth, then bake. Nothin like a load of twinkies to chase the winter blahs away! Nice goin!
Slinger

kennebecfly
04-17-2006, 08:57 AM
Bring on the bass!!!:smokin: