Fishing in Algonquin Park [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fishing in Algonquin Park

Night Raider
04-12-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm looking at going to Algonquin park fishing in early may. I was hoping someone on here would have some insight as to where, what type of fish etc....

thanks

chromer
04-12-2006, 06:30 PM
http://store.algonquinpark.on.ca/html/images/items/fishes_b.jpg

Looks like a good book... algonquinpark.on.ca

John Desjardins
04-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Pickerel & perch is what I remember from a family camping trip there about 30 years ago. The book above is probably a good choice because I remember that there was a lot of different water there. I envy you, it's one place I've always wanted to go back to but havent made it to yet.

lenny
04-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Buy a Backroad Mapbook for the region, about $18. I wouldn't treat it as gospel but they contain alot of handy information. I have been on some real wild goose chases because of these but overall I think they are a good product.

wrx_canoe
04-12-2006, 09:45 PM
I've fished the park in May for the past 10 or so years.

Most of the Oligotrophic (deep clear lakes) will have Lakers and Brookies feeding in the top 20 feet of water. So long as the temperature is below 13C. Once it gets above this they head straight to the bottom (the lakers that is...).

Simply trolling a spoon or plug will get you into fish. They're very aggressive at this time of year.

Concentrate on points, saddles, islands, etc.

Last year I brought a portable graph and that helped a lot in figuring out high probability spots.

Remember, the more you work to get to that remote lake probably means it's better fishing. Last year my buddies and I went into some of the more remote central lakes. Was a lot of fun, however, some in the group didn't appreciate the 3.5km portage to get out.

Please practice catch and release and pack out everything you bring in.

Good luck!

bluenose
04-13-2006, 06:54 AM
Here is an article that can get you started.

http://www.onlineflytyer.com/article_brookies1.asp

Regards