Steelhead Fly of the week – Claret Guinea Spade [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Steelhead Fly of the week – Claret Guinea Spade

Charlie
04-11-2006, 09:27 AM
This fly was invented by Alec Jackson, also the designer of the Alec Jackson spey hook, in the early 1980’s. This fly is actually a variation of Bob Arnold’s early 1960’s creation the Spade. Arnold is one of Washington’s most well known steelhead authors.

Hook: Up eye Atlantic Salmon hook
Tail: Fine deer body hair, dark brown mink or fitch tail.
Butt: Fluorescent red yarn or ostrich herl dyed red.
Body: Black chenille or black ostrich herl twisted with fine oval silver tinsel.
Collar: Grizzly cock hackle followed by a longer, claret dyed guinea fowl.
Head: Fluorescent red.

Igor
04-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Lovely tie, Charlie!

How do I say this delicately, though?

Chenille in the Rx? It's,...it's,...er,...it's BLASPHEMY!!

Alec has a pathological hatred of chenille. *g*

Igor

Charlie
04-11-2006, 12:52 PM
I know, I know! :Eyecrazy:

But Bob Arnold’s original Spade called for it and many references for Alec’s fly include it as an option for tiers that haven’t mastered the ostrich herl twist so I put it in. I will have to do a tutorial on it so others can see how to do it. :)

Charlie

Salar-1
04-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Nice fly ,Charlie. Itz gotta be good in Gaspe !!

flytyer
04-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Charlie,

Don't know if you know this or not; but Bob and Alec have been friends for something like 40 years. And although it is true that Alec hates chenile, he has been known to tell people when they ask that the chenile bodied versions of Spade (including his variations) are just as effective as his ostrich or peacock herl chenile versions. Alec also almost always uses the no longer available gantron florescent yarn for the bright butts on his Spade variations calling for florescent butts. I suspect that Spade and Alec's variations of it would be very good Atlantic Salmon flies during low-water summer/fall conditions.