5th Annual Rhody IceBreaker [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 5th Annual Rhody IceBreaker

RayStachelek
04-11-2006, 07:47 AM
5th Annual Rhody IceBreaker
Saturday, April 29th, 6:00am.
Low tide: 3:22 pm (two days past new moon).

There have been a few fish postings already this season from many different localities. It seems with the milder winter, nature has progressed earlier this year. Usually the IceBreaker helps wet a line for the anglers who might see stripers later than us. I propose that we get together at a different site, say Greenwich Bay due to the fact many more stripers will be present, and distributed by than.

Many of us by than will have our boat ready. There are also nice wading spots along East Greenwich Harbor and the incoming tide would be perfect. We could have as many as four boats. We could share fishers too. All fishing will be done pretty close to the ramp, so there won't be a lot of running around. This will keep the expense of gas down. Yaks and canoes are useful too. Thinking out loud, maybe Sean, Slinger, Tim St. and myself will have are craft ready.
All other boats are welcome including car top boats. Greenwich Cove is pretty sheltered. Near my home is a famous well stocked fly fishing store only one mile from my house. This isn't a commerial venture by no means, but if you can't find the material you need, you might want to stop there first before my house. (Just a thought, not an advertisement)

We could all meet afterwards for a hamburger/hot dog fling at my house say 1:00pm. There is plenty of parking for cars and boats too. The wife has agreed to that. Plenty of room to lawn cast your favorite rod or try other systems. All are welcome to attend any/or all portions of the day's events.

This year's Clave roast will be dedicated to John Morin are own Striblue. He joins the list of well known gents like the likes of Art Burton. Maybe this is one way to finally get John to RI with his fly collection and book stories. Besides Juro is a shoe in now to attend.

What a U think about this suggestion? Any thoughts?

Flies - Clousers, (chartreuse, olive, and yellow), white deceivers, alewives patterns, bucktail flies, and jellyfish patterns.

RayStachelek
04-11-2006, 07:48 AM
Future Roster and information

Juro
Chris Puma
Sean Mcdermott (boat)
Sean (Barrington, RI)
Slinger (boat)
Tim St. (maybe boat)
Ray Stachelek (boat)

sean
04-11-2006, 09:23 AM
I am in. Let me know if I can help by bringing food cause you guys sure as hell do not want my flies :)

-sean

Smcdermott
04-11-2006, 09:48 AM
I'm in.

Ray,

Let me know if you need help with anything on this.

Sean

BigDave
04-11-2006, 09:53 AM
I won't be able to make it but it sounds like fun.

Can you elaborate on "jellyfish patterns". I'm intruiged! :smile:

juro
04-11-2006, 09:55 AM
I am trying by best to make this one... have a conflict right now but i've been known to shuffle dates with the best of 'em :p

Slinger
04-11-2006, 10:40 AM
You know I`ll be there!
Slinger

TimSt
04-11-2006, 01:30 PM
I've been waiting for the grand announcement! I'll be there, but the duration of my attendance depends on what time Narragansett Little League opening day ceremonies begin. After I find out, I'll let you know if it makes sense for me to bring the boat.

Looking forward to it!

Adrian
04-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Afraid I can't make this one either - flying back from UK that day :frown:

But I know you guys will have a blast:smokin:

TimSt
04-12-2006, 07:23 PM
I'll be there from 0600-0900; no boat.

bonefishmon
04-13-2006, 04:59 AM
Sorry Ray. Wedding that day. I'll have to hook up with you at the next Clave. Thanks for putting it together.

Phil

Warren
04-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Ray, I think I can make it for this.
Juro was talking about a trout fishing day in Western Mass & a T&T rod factroy tour for this day. I am game for either, but... I am thinking a day of striper fishing would be fun. They don't show up here for another month or so.

Will you email me with some directions to the meeting place? I would be coming from New Hampshire but directions from Boston would be fine as I will probably come right down I-93 unless there is a better way.
It will be good to get out and meet some new folks, maybe catch a few fish too!

I am boatless as well. But do have a sit inside type Yak, what is the water like? Do I need a spray skirt for the Yak? I have never used the Yak on big open or salt water before.

Juro are you still having your Nor'easter spay casting day on April 22?

email addy w_jones@conknet.com

Warren

RayStachelek
04-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Warren Jones
Juro
Chris Puma
Sean Mcdermott (boat)
Sean (Barrington, RI)
Slinger (boat)
Tim St.
Ray Stachelek (boat)

juro
04-14-2006, 12:19 PM
Capt Ray -

I am not confirmed but hopeful at this point.

Thanks for rallying the troops this should be a great one!

rel1
04-18-2006, 03:22 AM
Ray- Looks like I can make this one; however I'll need directions to the meeting site. Its funny you picked this weekend for the opener- I'm on vacation from Wed. through Sat. night and I plan to fish straight thru. I probably won't make the cook out though, especially if I fish all night Fri/Sat. Lets hope for better weather than last year's icebreaker!! Ron

RayStachelek
04-18-2006, 11:01 AM
As of Tuesday, Apr. 18

Warren Jones
Juro (?)
Ron Lomas
Sean Mcdermott (boat)
Porkslice
Chris Puma
Sean (Barrington, RI)
Slinger (boat)
Tim St.
Ray Stachelek (boat)

porkslice
04-18-2006, 11:53 AM
I'm in. is there something I can do to help?
porkslice

Smcdermott
04-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Things were tough out there today. Fished most spots around Greenwich bay without a hit. Headed north and caught up with Slinger who managed a few this morning. I ended up with a couple small fish in the boat and a fair amount of short strikes fishing a BT Deceiver near a herring run. Lets hope some the predicted SW winds and milder temps get things kick started. I did see some flocks of terns, not working, but took it as a sign that there must be some bait in the area. Downside was the surface temps in the open bay dropped a few degrees from last week to just under 50 today.

Ray,

Should we get a final count and match up boaters with riders mid-week? Might save some time at the ramp Saturday a.m. If we stay at nine that would be three per boat which should work out well.

Sean

RayStachelek
04-22-2006, 10:02 PM
Sean,

Sounds like a plan. By the middle of this week (say Wed.) we should have firm commitments from everyone especially if it becomes a full flotilla classic. My guess is if others are late to sign up or show up on the spot, it will become a mixed game of boat/shore fisherman. In that case we can rotate people so everyone can experience both types of fishing if one desires. Guys will have to be prepared and bring waders in either case.

I don't know is Slinger's boat will handle three? Once we know exactly who's coming for sure and know the exact numbers, we can load the first boat and they can take off while I stay behind for the others to arrive.

If there are too many to fish comfortable in boats we have several options available to us. Give two sets of direction, one to the boat ramp and the other to say Godard Park or Chipiwanoxet. We could also give one direction to the boat ramp and ferry everyone to Chipiwanoxet Sand Bar and do our rotation from there.

What do you think Sean? All other may jump in also.

Smcdermott
04-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Ray,

Lets check back in mid week and go from there based on the numbers we have. I am optimistic but wondering if we will need to do a little running around to find some fish. I know a lot can change in a week but I spent about an hour on the drop at Chipiwanoxit this morning without a hit to show for it. Depending on work this week I may try and take a half day Friday and do a little scouting. I think Slinger mentioned he may have Friday off as well so a little intel could go a long way toward a sucessful game plan.

Sean

Warren
04-23-2006, 05:20 AM
My waders are patched. I found a leak in them last monday so I am ready in either case. Tried to get a friend to come along with his Jones Bros. But no dice. He is taking his kids to the youth turkey hunt this weekend. So he is excused!

Lets hope these damned easterly winds switch around to the south or southwest It would make fishing & working outside more pleasant.

JimW
04-23-2006, 08:47 AM
I was going to try to make this one but the boat is not ready. Was hoping to get 'er ready this weekend but I don't even have the seat cushions back yet so haven't even pulled the tarp. It could still happen but I'll most likely be working on it while you guys are out into fish.

RayStachelek
04-24-2006, 06:40 AM
We need to get a firm count by Wednesday night as to who is going to the Rhody IceBreaker this Saturday, April 29th. Sean and I need to work out boat passages and other details for directions. So please confirm by e-mail your intentions one way or the other so we can get an accurate count and plan the activities accordingly.

castaflycharters@cs.com

BARDY
04-25-2006, 07:56 AM
I was down in Newport last Saturday. They were catching fresh schoolies on First and Second beach using Ray's Flies. They said small bait imatations were working best.
Has there been a designated meeting spot for Saturday morning?
See you Saturday.
Brian

RayStachelek
04-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Brian,

We will be meeting in E. Greenwich Harbor. Send me your e-mail address if you plan on attending Saturday for additional information. Information will be sent Friday by PM.

Please note:

That includes all other anglers who may be going to Saturday's Rhody IceBreaker.
Need your e-mail address to send information and confirm.

rel1
04-25-2006, 11:55 PM
Ray- I'm still planning on coming Saturday. I have a new email addie<ronaldlomas@comcast.net>. Hopefully there will be others who prefer to shore fish. Ron

Nick
04-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Bummed i'm going to miss this one but I voluteered my Jeep to pull a friends new boat home for them from the cape. Good luck and point them north on the release!

sean
04-26-2006, 09:52 AM
Sorry guys I am out. Got screwed with the on-call rotation at work as someone dropped out and I am next in line. Will be thinking about you all while I amswer my pager all weekend...

-sean

RayStachelek
04-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Welcome everyone to the 5th Annual Rhody Icebreaker sponsored by the Fly Fishing Forum. We hope you truly enjoy the fishing experience, festivities, and friendly atmosphere of old friends and new beginnings. There will be a few changes in venue from past Claves. This year, we’ve moved the date closer to the end of April to assure more consistent fishing and diverse conditions. We have moved the event to Greenwich Cove which will give us better proximity to more grounds and better fishing opportunities. We have included for the first time the chance to do some boat fishing. Afterwards the event will conclude with a cookout to feed our hungry appetites and embellish some fish tales.

If you plan on attending the first Forum Event of the season, you need to send me your e-mail address. That's the only way to receive additional information and directions.

RayStachelek
04-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Our thoughts are with you, Steve.

Some bad news. Slinger's dad passed away in a nursing home today. Oviously he won't be able to make it Saturday for the IceBreaker. Steve will be dealing with important family issues. We will miss him and his laughter Saturday. Steve always enjoyed this get-to-gether and he would never miss it for anything. Our prayers are with you my friend. May your waters remain calm through this sorrowful experience knowing that your friends are behind you.

Warren
04-27-2006, 11:22 AM
That is certainly sad news. May God grant your dad everlasting peace Slinger.

Adrian
04-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Steve

Our deepest condolences on the passing of your Dad. Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you at this time of loss.

Adrian & Glynis

rel1
04-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Steve- My condolences on the passing of your Dad. Gonna miss you Saturday. Ron

RayStachelek
04-27-2006, 08:37 PM
An information packet for Saturday's Rhody IceBreaker has been E-mailed to all who have registered for the event.

Anyone who still desires to attend but did not registered can contact Sean McDermott or myself for updated directions by e-mail.

All of the boat billets have been filled to date.

Shore wading would be the other alternative for late sign-up arrivals.

castaflycharters@cs.com

My email in my profile is up to date. I removed mine from here as it was my work address and I didn't want it to get picked up by the spammers.
Thanks,
Sean

Slinger
04-27-2006, 09:19 PM
Thank you all so much for your kindness. My father was in a hospice center for the last 9 days so we knew this was comming. He and my mother discussed just such a situation long ago and plans were made and wishes honored which made today much easier. A short wake and a simple ceremony are all he desired and all will be done tomorrow. And so I bid adieu to yet another member of the greatest generation.
It may still be possible that CantAnchorUs will sail on Sat.
Slinger

RayStachelek
04-28-2006, 06:32 AM
Bro......

We'd luv 2 have ya!

Smcdermott
04-28-2006, 08:16 AM
Steve,

Be great to see you Saturday.

All,

More reports of fish on the South County shoreline yesterday. Lets hope those fish start pushing up the bay with the big moon tides.

Sean

FishHawk
04-28-2006, 08:24 AM
Steve My condolences on the passing of your Dad. Sorry to hear of this.
FishHawk(Bill)

juro
04-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Steve,

Just heard the sad news. I hope you keep forever the same kind of memories I have of my father who was my mentor as an angler and a man.

As a kid I remember one morning in Quebec on vacation he rowed the boat to a place where we could survey the shoreline and made me go through each piece of structure and why it would or not hold fish.

Then he rowed over and let me try each one to prove or disprove the theories. This was probably the most important lesson I've ever had as an angler, and to this day I pride myself in not only working to find success in reading structure but also work to understand the bigger cycles of weather, tide, behavior, seasons, etc.

And these teachings were nothing compared to the lessons about life, respect, and honor. We are lucky to have had these times with our fathers. I hope to pass his torch in the things I do and honor him that way.

sean
04-28-2006, 09:29 PM
Steve so sorry to hear about your loss.

-sean

bonefishmon
04-29-2006, 07:47 AM
Steve. It's difficult to put in words what to say when a friend has to say goodbye to someone he loves and will miss. My thoughts are with you. Bring his memories to the Ice Breaker. He would want you to go. Catch a few for Dear Old Dad.

Phil

FredA
04-29-2006, 12:44 PM
Steve, sorry to hear about your loss.

Warren
04-29-2006, 05:49 PM
Well Boys I made it home. Safe & sound. In two hours fourty five mins even. Had a great time, made some new friends (I hope:D ) and even managed to catch a few fish. Thanks to Sean for the boat ride, Capt Ray & wife for the hospitality and a great lunch. Also met up with Ron, Tim and Slinger. I hope to catch up with you lads again soon. Too Much Fun

Warren

fliboy
04-29-2006, 07:43 PM
Steve - sorry for your loss. Fully understand your comment on the "greatest generation" - and fully agree with that assessment.

Dave

TimSt
04-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Thanks Ray for setting this up and Sean for the ride. Good to see Ron again and make a new friend in Warren--great company on the boat! Even got to see Steve arrive as I had to leave. Oh yeah, fish were caught too :)

Sorry to miss the bbq, but wife and mother-in-law had other plans.

Smcdermott
04-30-2006, 08:21 PM
Thanks Ray for putting this together and for the great BBQ. Tim and Warren were great company on the boat. The weather didn't cooperate fully but we managed to find a lee and put a few fish in the boat.

Sean

RayStachelek
04-30-2006, 09:02 PM
http://castaflycharters.com/RhodyIceBreaker5.jpg

The morning was cold and windy and the hull covered with morning frost. She gently slid off her wintertime perch for her first seasonal baptismal. Six men gathered to share the experience of the rights of passage, a chance to catch that first striper of the season. We manage to find a lee shore and nail a few bass. All and all maybe 25 schoolies were released enough to call it a success considered the conditions.

Thank you Sean....for your help in putting this event together, for your fabulous fishing machine, and on the water expenses. We know how much fuel is?

Thank you Warren.... Despite the cold weather and early season conditions you came all the way from New Hampshire. You did it round trip without sleep all in one day. Glad you could feel the tug.

Thanks you Tim.... Family obligations come first, but you managed to spend a few hours with us. Maybe next year your sons will be clavers. Hope they won their Little League game.

Thank you Ron.... Don't think you ever missed this event? Nice to learn new water. Had some great memories all morning. We go back a long way together. As time has gone by, nice to have hooked up with you again for old time sake.

Thank you Slinger.... We knew it was going to be a difficult week for ya losing your dad. Never expected you would be there with your rig on Saturday. Glad we could offer some happiness and solitude. You have a lot of your dad inside you. He lives on.

Until next year..... Have a great bass season and maybe we can start it again next year?

Ray

BARDY
05-01-2006, 08:15 AM
Hi Guys
Missed you guys because I got there late. Headed over to Newport after Greenwich to check out 1st and 2nd Beach. Good day to fly a kite. Stopped at Saltwater Edge, and they suggested the ponds in South County. Headed down to Westerly and stopped at Quonny. It was nice to be back there after a long Winter. To bad there was no protection there either. I hope every one had a good day, and may this be the start of a great season
Brian

Smcdermott
05-01-2006, 08:51 AM
Brian,

Were you at the ramp around 9 a.m. in a black pickup? I thought I saw another fly fisher there when we dropped Tim off. I believe you even helped Slinger launch and I thought you two were coming out together. We would have gladly taken you out. Sorry for the mix up if it was you. Sounds like you got around a fair bit that day anyway.

Sean

BARDY
05-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Hey Sean
No that was not me. I got there around 8:30. looked around, no one was there so I moved on. Moved all around South County, but the wind was just being a pain in the neck. Scouted some new locations for next weekend. I will be down there on Saturday fishing with Kenny Abrams group at Quonny. Hope the wind is down. If your free stop over.
Brian

rel1
05-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Ray- Thank you for putting the icebreaker together, it was fun even though the conditions weren't the best. That's a good picture of a nice fish. You thought it was cold Saturday morning- I went out predawn Sunday morning and hit a few at one of our old time spots(nothing huge but good fighters nonetheless) and when I got back to the truck there was frost on the wind shield. I was wondering why I could not feel my fingers after releasing a couple of fish.
Its always good to meet new people and fish new areas. In fact the cove reminded my of fishing in my childhood river. Good luck this season and maybe we'll run into each other again this year.
Thanks aslo for the BBQ, and thank your wife for putting up with us fishermen.
Ron

juro
05-01-2006, 04:58 PM
You da man Ray!

Sounds like Sean's got his ride ready for the season too.

The start of a great season!

bonefishmon
05-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Hat's off to you Ray. Very sorry I missed it but had a wedding to shoot. Say? Is that a Hudson fish you are holding? I've heard from several prominent anglers that say Hudson fish tend to have broken lateral lines. Maybe a holdover with Hudson River bloodlines. I look forward to fishing with you again at some point.

Phil

Warren
05-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Heh Heh Heh.....an unforeseen bonus has occured as result of the Rody Icebreaker. At the local flyshop I am now held in high esteam (or is it distain?) of being the first one of the bunch to catch a striper this year. WhooooHoooo! Yeah Baby...Yeah!:hihi:

PopnesetBay
05-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Interesting comment about the lateral lines in picture. I caught 2, weekend of April 22-23, in Waquoit Bay that had the same look to them. Lines were only "broken" on one side and I mistook it for a healed injury. Both fish were in the lo - mid 20's and appeared to be very healthy and obviously hungry. Will be interesting to see how prevalent this is thru the coming season.

Pete

RayStachelek
05-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Guys.....

About the lateral line.......not trying to pull a fast one but if you look close the leader is wrapped around the fish during the hold. This is actual causing the broken lines. See the fly near my left pocket it's all connected.

My bad but it was unintentional.