4/9 Housatonic Backwater-no pike [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 4/9 Housatonic Backwater-no pike

Quentin
04-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Dragged the boat from its winter storage spot on Sunday and went to look for pike in some Housatonic backwaters. Only saw a few tiny pike, or maybe pickerel, and some skittish panfish. Finally got the skunk out of the boat by catching a nice crappie (on the pike fly :roll: ). Didn't catch a lot but it was nice to get the boat out and get some casting practice :cool: .

Q

teflon_jones
04-11-2006, 08:16 AM
How far down the Housatonic do you have to go before it supports pike?

Dble Haul
04-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Crappie on a pike fly?

Now that's my kind of panfish. :cool:

Adrian
04-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Scott

I've heard reports of pike from many sections of the river all the way up from Bulls bridge into Mass. Never seen one myself but I trust the sources.

Quentin
04-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Scott

I've heard reports of pike from many sections of the river all the way up from Bulls bridge into Mass. Never seen one myself but I trust the sources.

Exactly. There are many dams on the river so you end up with multiple areas of faster water leading to slow or still water, where the pike hang out. I've caught a few in or near the faster water just below the dams, but I usually find them in the slower sections. I look for them in the spring and sometimes catch a few, but I definitely do better in the summer and fall.

Crappie on a pike fly?

Now that's my kind of panfish.

Mark, I guess it's not really a "pike fly", just the fly I was using to try for pike. It was a yellow rabbit strip fly trimmed to a thinner (and much lighter :cool: ) profile. Total length is a hare under 4" (sorry :hihi: ). Very easy to cast and has great action. Only caught the one crappie on it so far, but had a brief hookup and a few follows tonight. Still hasn't proven itself yet but has great potential.

Q