Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week Undertaker [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Atlantic Salmon Fly of the week Undertaker

Charlie
04-06-2006, 08:17 AM
This Warren Duncan pattern was developed using parts from several other well-known patterns such as the Black Bear and the Englehardt Special. It is most often fished in small sizes and tied as a low water fly. This fly has also been adopted by west coast steelheaders and has even found its way to the steelhead waters of the Great Lakes.

Tag: Oval gold, fl. green and red floss
Body: Peacock herl
Rib: Oval gold
Hackle: Black hen
Wing: Black bear
Sides: Jungle cock
Head: Black

t_richerzhagen
04-06-2006, 10:05 AM
and it works well for steelhead. Out West we smetimes use it in large sizes, especially in off color water, early morning and evening.

flytyer
04-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Ted,

I've been surprised to not see it used by all that many PNW steelheaders because as you mentioned, it is very effective for steelhead. I found it words as a low-water tie as well. Although I haven't found it to be as effective as Bob Arnold's "Spade" when Spade is tied small (#8-#10), it has worked often enough for me in late morning that I always have a few with me. And I've long considered Randal Kaufmann's Signal Light to be a marabou winged variation of the Undertaker.

juro
04-07-2006, 05:54 AM
I've hooked my share of summer runs on a variant, rather than peacock herl I used seal or on lazy days chenille and rarely use the jungle cock eye.

However I still have a cape I bought like 8 years ago so I think I will stop being such a scrooge with it :tongue:

Nice tie!

Salar-1
04-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Charlie
Tie some up in size #2 to 2/0 for early June fishing ! I've never done well with the Undertaker in Gaspe HOWEVER with about 1/2 (and less !)of the wing material in your fly it's very effective on the North Shore .
Cheers

Igor
04-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Without digressing into a history lesson or name-dropping, the only thing that the Signal Light and the Undertaker have in common is the split-colored butt/tag IMO.

That being said, you've dressed another beautiful fly, Charlie - and I really appreciate the well-tyed contributions you've made.

Igor