Finally found a source - double eyed needle [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Finally found a source - double eyed needle

juro
04-04-2006, 03:53 PM
By far the easiest way to tie a nail knot is with a double-eyed needle and it can be added to a lanyard with a snap swivel or simple knot on some backing etc.

I know some use the nail knot tool but believe me you don't know what you're missing. :)

Marie's Burlington Sewing Center
Woburn Mall
800-578-5528

Item: Double Eyed Needle
# CHN-1 032105

$2.99 US

I will post a video of it's use for tying nail knots.

jimS
04-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Juro, good find! If you get a chance, pick me up a couple and I'll pay you in May. Incidentally, my standby for tying a nail knot is a piece of the hollow tubing attached to a can of WD-40.

juro
04-05-2006, 10:56 AM
That's a very economical solution and good re-use when the can is empty.

I have been practicing the tool-less nailknot and getting better each time but the thing that sets the needle apart is that you never have to thread the tag end through any loops. You just put the end of the line cross-wise into the hole and pull - the needle does all the threading.

It takes about 15 seconds to tie a perfect nail knot and it can be done while standing knee deep on a flat between pods. If you need to do it under those circumstances, chances are you are having a good day :)

FishHawk
04-06-2006, 08:27 AM
I found this tool called Fast Knot Tyer at my local flyshop. Nail knot problems solved. A little more money than $2.99. It distributed by Cortland. There is also one built into a clipper for even more money. It's as easy as 123.
FishHawk.

JimW
04-06-2006, 08:55 AM
How about the speed nail knot - Scott Black at the Bear's den uses it for making loops in fly lines. It would be difficult for me to explain but it's quite simple when you see it done. I think you can find it on the web. What's everyone always telling me to do? - oh yeah google it.;)

juro
04-06-2006, 09:42 AM
That knot was discussed here and teflon jones drew it out nicely. It works great.

I use nail knots to build hybrid line connections and the uniformity and dimensions of the knot matter.

Fishhawk the knot tyer requires that you thread the line through the loops where the needle does that for you. If I am going to thread the line thru I just double up the flyline to create a groove and that works just fine and takes the same amount of time. The needle pokes inside the foam flybox and weighs nothing on the lanyard too.

Many ways to skin the cat.

JimW
04-06-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm a big fan of the needle threading method, I've got a bunch of those in different fly boxes. Is this double eyed needle stainless? I guess I should have said I've got several of those needles, some of which are rusty. The plastic versions are just a bit too large.