South Pacific Bonefish [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: South Pacific Bonefish

Wolfgang
04-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Hi,

I am heading to the Cook Islands (Roritonga and Aitutaki) in the South Pacific in a couple of weeks and plan to do some fishing. I was able to find a guide in Aitutaki that fly fishes for Bonefish and Trevaly . He told me that the Bonefish in the area respond better to baitfish patterns like Clousers rather than Crustacean patterns like Crazy Charley ect.. Is this typical of Pacific Bonefish or is it perhaps something to do with the ecosystem on this specific island? Any fishing tips for South Pacific Bonefish and Trevaly? Do Trevaly feed and behave like Permit of are they totaly different?

Thanks,

Wolfgang

juro
04-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Oh man you are going to SLAY them...

http://www.tahiti.com/images/htl-prlbeachresort/pr-aitutaki-aerial.jpg

Looks like a miniature "Acklins". How large is the island?

Adrian
04-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Trevally are overgrown Jack Crevalle and are much easier to tempt with flies than Permit. That said, the big ones didn't get to be big by makng mistakes so the presentation still needs to be good.

Bonefish feeding habits are probably governed more by local conditions. At Xmas Island fishing on the Ocean side in surf, we threw big clousers (4" - 6 ") and they wacked them hard. They pulled a lot harder too if you imagine that :smokin:

On the flats in skinny water its a different proposition and we fished smaller flies mostly 6s and 8s. I would go armed for all circumstances.

Looks liike an amazing destination. A detailed trip report will be required with pics!

Good luck!:)

Wolfgang
04-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the info. Aitutaki is about 9 miles long by 6 miles wide including the barrier islands and lagoon. The main part of the island is about 4 miles long by 1 and 1/2 miles wide. The lagoon and barrier islands look like they will be awsome for wading and sight fishing. I can't wait!!!! And my wife said I can fish as much as I want, we will have to see about that though:wink: .

Wolfgang

juro
04-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Thats a perfect size - you can cover the whole thing during your stay if she wasn't kidding. :)

You need to talk to my good friend Dennis Worley who used to manage one of the largest shops in the country and is a trevally guru on the fly. Besides he lives near you and is a great resource in the Seattle area for flyfishing expertise.

Why don't you PM me your contact information and I will see if he can provide some advice and flies for you offline.

bonefishmon
04-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Oh man you are going to SLAY them...

http://www.tahiti.com/images/htl-prlbeachresort/pr-aitutaki-aerial.jpg

Looks like a miniature "Acklins". How large is the island?

Didn't Marlon Brando own that one?

Phil

petevicar
04-05-2006, 06:20 AM
Hi Wolfgang

If the guide is suggesting baitfish patterns for bonefish then I recommend that you take some gummy minnows(size 4).

Also for trevally I have had most sucess with big baitfish patterns.
The Giant Trevally on my avitar was caught using a size 4/0 epoxy head deceiver.
Trevally are agressive Jack type fish. You must remember to strip very fast.

Pete

Bob Bergquist
04-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Having fished Wake Isld and Bikini for big bones ( 8-14.5 lbs) I found a large chartruse clouser to be the best overall fly, as it is perfect for the trevally, emperors, job fish etc that you will also find in the same spots. The small gotchas etc limit you. Gummys were not around then, but should work great as well.