April First...Spey-Dicator Charlie's not going to like this [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: April First...Spey-Dicator Charlie's not going to like this

Shaq
04-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Sometimes, evolution is the key. A flat swing, not condusive to catching fish and a new technique...NOT...is needed. Working on the spey-dicator...or spey-bobber.

Not one fish on the swing, many on the dead-drift. cold stained water. All fish on egg-sucking leeches.

grouseman
04-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Is that a brown in pic #3? If so, beauty.

Shaq
04-05-2006, 07:44 AM
Yes Brown. First and biggest of the day. We were into the browns all day

Charlie
04-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Very cool Shaq! Nice fish. :cool:

And despite the way I like to fish, I would never bash a guy for the way he fishes. Only the way he acts. I know you are an ethical guy out on the river who deserves a lot of respect. I would go fishing with you any time brother.

And besides, I went out Saturday and got skunked! :chuckle:

I did talk to Rod builder extraordinar, Greg Defoe the other day and he was up at the Salmon. He got a few nice fish and decided to test his new waterproof camera. These are the pictures he sent me.

Charlie

titleguy
04-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Shaq- I am interested in your idea of a "spey-dicator" I actually posed that question to Juro yesterday. I just bought a light spey ( 11' 9" 6 wt) to use in the Kennebec and Penobscot. Learning how to cast notwithstanding, one of my most effective methods is indicator nymphing with a long leader and two nymphs, usually a big black stone and small dropper fly. Have you tried that on your spey yet? If so, what is you leader set-up like? Thanks for any input.:confused:

Shaq
04-05-2006, 10:05 AM
Hey Charlie, I like to kid around. Haha

Title, I have just started using the indicator on the spey this season so my rig is relatively simple. Just a peg-able indicator, size to what type of weight or heavy fly, a regular tapered leader and same rig as you would use on the single. Nice thing about the 2-hander is, you can lift and mend 12-13 feet of line and control your drift. Check out how the Poles and Cheqs nymph and you will see the leader set-ups they use

titleguy
04-05-2006, 10:10 AM
I'll give it a try Shaq- Thanks. I'm really looking forwrd to getting the rod out on some hard to reach spots. Of course, I've got to learn how to cast first.:tsk_tsk:

titleguy
04-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Shaq- what are you using for an indicator? Hard or soft?

fredaevans
04-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Learning how to cast notwithstanding, one of my most effective methods is indicator nymphing with a long leader and two nymphs, usually a big black stone and small dropper fly.

This is one of the 'basic set-ups' for nymphing on the upper Rogue River. The black stone is frequently 'swapped out' for what we call an Otis Bug. That said, if you need to fish short/want to use an idicator of some sort I'll make a 'tried and true' suggestion on a 'rig.'

Just above the knot where your leader joins the fly line attach a 12" bit of 20'ish pound mono with a nail knot. About 4-6 inches down from there do a tripple over hand loop (so you can snug it up in a moment) and insert a 1-1.5" of poly yarn (any thing that will float and is highly visable), goop up with floatant material if you want, and tie off (trim off much of the excess 'dropper' mono at this point) snuggly.

As this 'rig' is totally independent of your main leader, what you have now is a highly visable 'float' that will not interfere with the 'lift' and forward cast behind your "D" loop.

Shaq
04-05-2006, 07:19 PM
I use the bell shaped hard foam for close in work but my buddy uses macromay yarn from a craft shop. FLoats great and doesn't interfere with the cast

DPG
04-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Man, I have to get a spey rod, I was fishing the Catt last week with my single handed 9-1/2' 7wt, a sinking leader, and a weighted fly, MAN MY ARM WAS HURTING!!! Rick K was down there with his two hander casting from one side of the stream to the other with ease, and I was struggling just to get half way across river!!!! BLACK FRANCIS, I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie
04-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Dave,

Donít you work there now? :hihi: Just pluck one of those babies off of the wall and go to it. :devil: :lildevl:

Charlie.

titleguy
04-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks for all the input guys- I'm giving it a try at the East Outlet of the Kennebec on Sunday for Landlocks and Brook Trout.

Shaq- Where are you on Champlain? I lived outside Middlebury, VT for many years and hunted the lake a lot.