BIG BROTHER DAY 2006 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: BIG BROTHER DAY 2006

juro
04-04-2006, 01:09 AM
Please join me in keeping this most important tradition thriving in 2006... the annual Big Brother Fishing Day on Fathers Day, June 18th Sunday 2006.

We are asking for a half day out of your year to mentor a pair (big and little brother) with the Forum group at Chatham to share your knowledge and passion for coastal fishing.

Those who have participated in the past know how important of a day this is to the littles and bigs alike, and the sense of satisfaction and just plain fun is hard to match in anything we do all year.

We gather at the Monomoy Wildlife refuge and enjoy a half day of fishing, picnic lunch, rides to the refuge for the pairs are donated by Rip Ryder. Then the kids go through flyfishing "boot camp" on the beach, after which they spin or fly fish depending on the appropriate level of ability. After lunch we award each little with a flyfishing graduation gift and wish them luck on their angling journey through life, or until we meet again next year as we have several 'veteran' pairs.

The Refuge staff then takes them through a scavenger hunt and they conclude the day.

The Forum 'mentors' then spend the balance of the day enjoying the flats and finish with steamers and a cold one to relish the day at Squires. Some do need to get home for dinner with their own fathers, others attend with their fathers as mentors. Others like myself do this in honor of their fathers who have passed on. For whatever reason, let's turn Fathers Day into a day of brotherhood and fishing for the boys.

It's become among the most important annual activities and because of planning needs we really must get a number of volunteers coordinated earlier than last year. Each year we learn how to do things better and this is an important adjustment.

Please show your support for this ever-important event by volunteering to mentor on this date here.

thanks
Juro

juro
04-04-2006, 08:36 AM
In thinking about this more, moving it to Saturday would allow people who have commitments on Sunday to participate.

Let's shift it to Saturday of Father's Day weekend (June 17th).

Adrian
04-04-2006, 12:57 PM
I'll be there unless the firm decides I need to be overseas.

I'm 95% at this point.

Hawkeye
04-04-2006, 01:05 PM
I'll be there unlike last year when I thought it was on Father's day and missed it by a week.

grizz0707
04-04-2006, 06:17 PM
i will check my schedule and maybe i can make it this year

Quentin
04-04-2006, 07:09 PM
I'll be there barring unforseen circumstances. I'll probably make a weekend of it :cool: .

Q

striblue
04-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Since you shifted it to Saturday I will be there...Sunday I need to keep for my kids....this year....I will be in Chatham all weekend and hope I can get both boys involved....John has turned down a summer internship at a financial firm...which I encouraged...telling him he has the next 30 years to worry about that and will work at Geoge's fish market in Harwich and Jim will be at Chatham as well....both were at the first or second Big Bros day...so Sat is really better for me...Hawkeye... it will be good to see you after many years.

Dble Haul
04-04-2006, 09:11 PM
My gosh, there's a chance that I can actually be there this year.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

striblue
04-04-2006, 09:50 PM
If we can get five or six flies from each guy who participates to give to the kids... then ...as the years go by for them... they may find it in the bottom of their closets and say... to their kids..."hey, lets take these out(but not all of them;) "... and fish".... our ultimate goal....(maybe Nick can get us the "famous junk boxes" that he has found), if he can not we can certainly get some inexpensive fly boxes to give to them.".... you got to have a box for them....A treasure.... I would like to leave them with something to take home... what do you guys think?

Dble Haul
04-04-2006, 09:55 PM
Great idea, Mr. Mayor.

Smcdermott
04-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Great idea John. I also hope to make it this year and I am sure I can wrestle up some extra flies by then.

Sean

striblue
04-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Sean...hope you can make it and looking forward to fishing with you....John

bonefishmon
04-05-2006, 06:06 AM
I'll join you if the family will let Father leave the property. Flies and boxes will accompany me.

Phil

juro
04-05-2006, 07:29 AM
Tally as of this AM: 4 confirmed

Hawkeye
striblue
jimS
juro

Others please reply as you can commit. I need to coordinate with Heather at Big Brothers accordingly.

thanks

Nick
04-05-2006, 07:33 AM
I'm a 50/50 right now as I am in the time of my life where everyone I know is getting married (8 this summer)....so that leaves a few weekends not quite accounted for yet. I really hope I can get down there for it though.

As far as boxes, I have about 40 at my house now, and can get more most likely if we need them. No problem.

jimS
04-05-2006, 07:54 AM
I'll be on the Cape then, and can't think of anything more enjoyable. John's fly idea is terrific. Don't know whether my boys will be there to assist.

Smcdermott
04-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Juro,

You can add me to the confirmed list. I may try and make a long weekend out of it with a little recon on Friday but that is up in the air.

Sean

juro
04-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks Adrian! Great to hear you will be able to make it again.
Great news Sean, you were a real asset to the group last year.
JimS - you are becoming a real veteran at this, thanks on behalf of the kids.

Tally as of mid-day: 6 confirmed

Hawkeye
striblue
jimS
SMcDermott
Adrian
juro

Others please reply as you can commit. I need to coordinate with Heather at Big Brothers accordingly.

thanks

Adrian
04-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Put me down as a definite.

I'll make that one of my long week-ends - the firm owes me a bunch of lost Saturdays!

striblue
04-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Just one thing... as of now... anyone who decides to come down on Friday eve... can stay at my place....I can not determine right now if my boys will be down but I would have room even if they do... and if anyone is bringing a boat...just slap in in my driveway... and Sean... if you do bring your boat, park it at CAC, I will help you launch it at any ramp that requires a Chatham resident....PS.. I suspect we will not have individual boats..I just don't know ,since this is usually a beach thing...more than just fishing... things like picking up horseshoe crabs, wearing sea weed wigs, and digging to China....but if it is I can help there....also, I will post the same for the spring clave. Those who have boats... I can fit two easily with trucks in the driveway and one or two on the street in front...maybe more if we jockey things around.

Smcdermott
04-06-2006, 09:35 AM
John,

Very generous to offer a spot for the boat. Obviously finding parking on the cape can be difficult at times. My father has a place in Harwichport but his driveway is barely big enough and its next to impossible to swing the boat in due to the tight streets. Not sure if I will bring the boat down or not. If I make it a long weekend I most likely will. Last year I took one pair for a quick seal tour as there were some stacked up at the southway entrance. If we see thats a possibility this year maybe we can get a few more boats to come and make it available to more pairs. I was also limited in that I realized I only had 4 life jackets on board. This year if it works out I will bring the extra bag full in case I need to carry more pairs.

Sean

Quentin
04-07-2006, 06:50 PM
I'll be there barring unforseen circumstances. I'll probably make a weekend of it :cool: .

Q

Juro, you can add me to the confirmed list.

Q

grizz0707
04-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Hi Juro,
add me to the confirmed list. I will bring cameras and printers and donate in the forums name a group 5x7 of everyone or if you want a 3x5 of the person with mentor and a group 5x7 in a folder.Juro PM me with what you would like and i will bring the supplies. This photo will be presented at the end of the day or program, all i need is power for the printers and a room.

juro
04-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks Q, Chuck!

That's a phenomenal idea to provide a photo of the day! I have photoshop if you want to add some text e.g. Big Brother Fishing Day 2006, etc.

Tally as of tonight: 8 confirmed

Hawkeye
striblue
jimS
SMcDermott
Adrian
Quentin,
griz0707,
juro

thanks

Sephon
04-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Second Vacation Request to Cape Cod = 10 minutes of flack from the Judge

Vacation in Cape Cod = 6 vacation days

Gas to Cape Cod = 150 dollars

Time spent with my Father (JimS), the guys, and the kids and sponsors = Priceless

I'm in. Please add me to the list.

-Chris

juro
04-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Great news Sephon!

Tally as of tonight: 9 confirmed

Hawkeye
striblue
jimS
SMcDermott
Adrian
Quentin,
griz0707,
Sephon,
juro

thanks!

Smcdermott
04-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Juro,

I am pretty sure we have Porkslice coming as well. I will check in with him to see if he is a definite.

Sean

tomd
04-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Barring earthquakes tonados or a flood, I'll be there!!!:)

juro
04-19-2006, 07:19 AM
Sean, the kids love Porkslice! Hope he can do it.
Tom, your participation year to year is a valued part of this tradition thanks.

Tally as of tonight: 10 confirmed

Hawkeye
striblue
jimS
SMcDermott
Adrian
Quentin,
griz0707,
Sephon,
TomD,
(Porkslice confirming),
juro

thanks!

juro
04-27-2006, 11:11 AM
UPDATE -

Big Brothers Assoc thanks you for volunteering and the announcements are out for recruiting the pairs (big and little)!

Let's make this the best ever.

Juro

porkslice
05-02-2006, 07:44 PM
I'll be there!

seuss
05-05-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm in. Need to keep the streak alive! Past few years, my best catch has been one where I wasn't even holding the flyrod. The look on their faces...

Cara will be joining us again this year as well to lend a hand in whatever other non-fishing ways we need.

Only request --> would everyone pleeeeaaazzze start praying for some better weather this year. need to get a jumpstart on the weatherman.

juro
05-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Great news from Heather over at BB...

We have 6 matches already and the sign-ups just started!

Going to be a very good one this year, let's make it the best ever.

Dble Haul
05-10-2006, 02:46 PM
Sorry folks, but I just discovered that I have a wedding to attend on that day.

Here I am, banging my head against the wall......:frown:

Sorry for having to drop out.

juro
05-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Great to hear that Porkslice!
Dr.Seuss and Kara are going for the record! awesome.

Mark, our loss but please wish the couple well!

Tally as of tonight: 12 confirmed

Hawkeye
striblue
jimS
SMcDermott
Adrian
Quentin,
griz0707,
Sephon,
TomD,
Porkslice,
Seuss and Kara,
juro

Big/Little matches confirmed thus far - 6 and signups just started. Looks like we will have good pairing this year (sometimes we are tilted one way or the other).

thanks!

Nick
05-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Juro, still a maybe, but I do have ~40 boxes that are available if needed. I also have access still to more if necessary!

Dble Haul
05-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Juro-

I can still tie up some flies and send them to contribute to the little brothers. Sound good?

CSJ60
05-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Juro, sorry for the late entry, Iím in for BB day.

juro
05-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Craig the kids will appreciate your skilled mentorship!

Nick, I will arrange for myself or someone to get the "diploma boxes".

Thanks Mark that will help fill our "diploma" boxes.

BB has 10 matches confirmed so far!

Tally as of tonight: 13 mentors

Hawkeye
striblue
jimS
SMcDermott
Adrian
Quentin,
griz0707,
Sephon,
TomD,
Porkslice,
Seuss and Kara,
CSJ60,
juro

Big/Little matches confirmed thus far - 10 and counting. Looks like we will have good pairing this year (sometimes we are tilted one way or the other).

Let's make it the BEST EVER! Sure are a lot of fish around

thanks!

juro
06-03-2006, 08:21 AM
I received an update from Heather that Molly will be bringing 16 matches to the event this year!

Good thing we have a good showing of mentors... but there we could use 3 more to avoid doubling up.

It's going to be a GREAT day!

I will post an agenda shortly.

FishHawk
06-03-2006, 10:02 AM
I in as long as my minor surgery doesn't interfere. We should have a great time with the new anglers. FishHawk:D

jimS
06-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Juro, as I mentioned yesterday, my other son, Brad, will also be available for Big Brother Day.

FishHawk
06-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Juro I'm in surgery went ok. Hope I can make the list. FishHawk

Nick
06-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Unfortunately, I'm out. I do have ~40 boxes or so if you still need them. They're at my place in Arlington, but I'm will to meet up somewhere as needed!

Bummed about missing this one, just too many weddings this year (9). Tis the time of my life i guess, thank God for summer hours at work. Fri afternoons are about the only fishing time i have left!!!

juro
06-13-2006, 04:38 PM
Nick, sorry to hear you can't make it but thanks for the boxes! I am sure one of the guys can come get them if not myself.

Tally as of tonight: 14 mentors

Hawkeye
striblue
jimS
SMcDermott
Adrian
Quentin,
griz0707,
Sephon,
TomD,
Porkslice,
Seuss and Kara,
CSJ60,
fishhawk,
juro

Big/Little matches confirmed thus far - 16 and counting. Looks like we will have good pairing this year (sometimes we are tilted one way or the other).

Let's make it the BEST EVER!

thanks![/QUOTE]

Smcdermott
06-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Juro,

Do we have a schedule established. I know you said afternoon again for the fishing component but do we have a time and place to meet. I am leaning toward bringing the boat so I can help transport gear and setup in advance of the RR crowd. Also, should we be tying flies for the littles to include in the boxes?

Sean

juro
06-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Sean -

Good questions... my apologies to be in 'hit and run' mode while at work but I am going to take a moment to stop and go through this. Please provide your feedback.

Overview:
------------
- friday early birds... possible get together and lodging (?)
- morning fishing mentors
- gather at SB landing at 11:30a
- lunch with kids on beach
- boot camp after lunch
- fishing during the afternoon
- graduation ceremony at Monomoy HQ (please attend for portrait)
- fishing after ceremony on Morris (optional)
- Squires dinner after dark (optional)

Checklist:
-----------
- fly rod, basket
- spin rod with lures (sluggos etc)
- flies for kids graduation boxes (3-6 each)
- any props that you feel will help the kids learn
- good cheer to inspire the littles (and bigs)

Preparation:
---------------
We should all tie or bring 3-6 flies for inclusion in the graduation boxes. I will also pick up the traditional "swedish fish" snacks and see about a grand prize rod and reel setup.

*** please pinch the barbs ***

Contents of grad boxes:
------------------------------
Flies
Swedish fish snack
Photo portrait with mentor (great idea Chuck!)
Lure
(other items being investigated)

Schedule

Friday PM:
------------
If anyone is arriving the evening before and needs a place to crash, there might be a few beds open at folks' rentals and summer homes. I would recommend posting and if someone has a spot for you I am sure they will reply.

A sunset get together at Squire's might be a nice way to hook-up. I am sure some will be fishing until dark.

Sat AM:
---------
The matches (littles & bigs) will be touring the Monomoy Wildlife Refuge in the morning up until lunch. Let's plan to have lunch over on SB again. Our job will be to set up "boot camp" and get ready to show our guests around for the afternoon. This means we can fish until 11 or so :)

I might stay on the refuge HQ side to greet Molly (the BB coordinator) and the matches depending on the time of arrival. If the refuge staff is planning on greeting them and showing them around, then I will take the first shuttle over with the gang. In any case there will be plenty of time for morning fishing.

Sat 11:30:
-------------
We will set up the usual boot camp arrangement.

Sat noon:
------------
We will begin by enjoying lunch together during which there will be a short presentation period. If anyone would like to give a short talk to the group, for instance to talk about the striper, how they hit, a favorite fish tale then let me know and we will schedule it.

I will give a casting schpeel meant to be as simple as possible for kids to understand fly casting. We need to cover spin casting as well.

Boot camp:
-------------
We will run the bigs and littles through the stations. At the final station, we will decide whether fly or spin is appropriate.

Each mentor will accompany a match, some will have to double up. With the tide low at the dropoff we should be able to rustle up some fish for the gang.

Graduation Ceremony:
---------------------------
Because of the awesome idea Chuck had to give the kids a portrait with their mentor, we will all need to head back to the HQ where there is a nice walkway we use as the 'podium'. Chuck needs electricity to print the portrait, which will go into the grad box.

Post event fishing:
-----------------------
There will be a lot of daylight left and with the tide in we should be able to find someplace to fish together until dark if anyone is interested.

Optional Dinner at Squires
---------------------------------
If anyone is still going strong at dark, we should share a cold one and steamers or a burger over at the Squire.

Feedback?

striblue
06-13-2006, 08:28 PM
I will be down Thursday Night... and If anyone wants to drop by CAC on Friday night you are welcome...I think Fishawk, bonefishmon and maybe Paxton will stay over... if anyone is in a bind just let me know and you can crash at CAC...John

Hawkeye
06-15-2006, 03:43 PM
I was going to drag Mike with me to help out the pairing situation and now I have to bow out as Mike and I will be going to New York to spend Father's day weekend with our dad. You and the Bro's will be in my thoughts along with prayers for tight lines.

juro
06-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Gregg - our loss!

Tally as of tonight: 13 mentors

striblue
jimS
SMcDermott
Adrian
Quentin,
griz0707,
Sephon,
TomD,
Porkslice,
Seuss and Kara,
CSJ60,
fishhawk,
juro

Big/Little matches 21!!

Looks like we will BE SHORT ON pairing this year!! I had to ask them to cut it off at that.

If anyone can make it please reconsider - we are in a bit of a bind.

Looks like you will receive an EXCLUSIVE Forum / Monomoy / Rip Ryder hat for participation this year! :smokin:

thanks!

flydoc
06-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Juro- I can pitch in- just found out I will be available for Saturday (had another obligation initially, but was able to get out of it). I'm assuming the 8 AM pick up for the Rip Ryder, and single handers vs the Atlantis (or should I bring both?). Anything else I should bring? I'm not the FFF certified instructor supremo, but I'll do my best:o
Flydoc

Quentin
06-15-2006, 10:23 PM
I'll be on my way in a few hours. I'll probably hit SB Fri and will plan to meet the group for the first shuttle Sat am. See ya then, if not sooner! :cool:

Q

juro
06-15-2006, 11:10 PM
Flydoc - You are a lifesaver! We lost Griz0707 to a more important calling at the homefront.

Tally as of tonight: still at 13 mentors

striblue
jimS
SMcDermott
Adrian
Quentin,
Sephon,
TomD,
Porkslice,
Seuss and Kara,
CSJ60,
fishhawk,
flydoc,
juro

Big/Little matches 21!!

Looks like we will BE SHORT ON pairing this year!! I had to ask them to cut it off at that.

If anyone can make it please reconsider - we are in a bit of a bind.

Participants will receive an EXCLUSIVE Forum / Monomoy / Rip Ryder hat this year! :smokin:

THEY LOOK AWESOME.

Just picked them up tonight! SPECIAL THANKS to ACTION GRAPHICS for their outstanding service to take care of us!!!