Uses for a Litespeed [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Uses for a Litespeed

JimW
04-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Well after my reel locked up for the second time I was none too happy and a buddy of mine came up for an alternative use for it.

JimW
04-03-2006, 06:22 PM
But wait, there's hope afterall.
They've come up with a new roller bearing clutch thingy that's suposed to solve all the problems. I'll let you know how it works out in a year or so. Meanwhile it performs nicely as a Sammy opener.

chromer
04-03-2006, 11:24 PM
:hihi: :chuckle: :lildevl:

I used to fish mine for ocean coho... DOH

jfbasser
04-04-2006, 06:53 AM
IMHO Any beer fizz that comes into the slightest contact with the finish of the opener/reel will cause it to corrode over time. I believe I read a recent article in Apres Fish / Beer that a weekly dousing in Beer-Tex will help alleviate the problem:D

Dave17
04-04-2006, 07:13 AM
Jim,

Can they retro fit that new clutch to existing reels?

BLACK FRANCIS
04-04-2006, 07:38 AM
yes the old models can be retro fitted and lamson will take care of any reels showing corrosion. apparently the new torrington clutch/bearing models are stainless steel.

juro
04-04-2006, 07:40 AM
Does the new clutch fit the Velocity series reels?

BigDave
04-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Jim good luck with the Lammy.

Every time I sent one back there was a new update to "solve the problem"

Solution: bought Bauer/Tibor and will never look back.

JimW
04-04-2006, 08:16 AM
Not sure about the velocity but I bet they've addressed the problems in that area as well, definately worth giving them a call. Though I jest about using it as a bottle opener it's performed well while it's in good condition. I hope the new SS part does the trick, it will take a year or a dunking and a bluefin before confidence is restored.

BLACK FRANCIS
04-05-2006, 05:41 AM
Juro- as of the start of the 2005 season all the 3 and up lamson's got the ss clutch. this goes for all models and is retro fitable (nice) for all.

FishHawk
04-06-2006, 07:17 AM
I'm in the market for a new reel and after reading all these comments Tibor is the reel. Check other reports on the web and you'll see why Tibor comes out on top.
FishHawk

juro
04-06-2006, 08:44 AM
OK you got my curiosity - why?

JimW
04-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Because we didn't have an opener....:hihi:

I know you're refering to the Tibor comment, just had to throw that in.

There are many good reels out there. If I were in the market for a top of the line reel I'd look not only at the quality of the reel but the chances that the company producing it will be around to service it and that's tough to say these days.

Rimouskois
04-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Tibor have made their duds too. I have a spring creek without the new constalub system and it will practically freespool if wet even on full drag. It dries out a bit then gets choppy, strange for a reel designed to protect light tippets. The good thing about it is that it is very light and looks good but probably a cheaper reel like a pflueger trion would actually be better.

FishHawk
04-06-2006, 01:05 PM
The reason I settled on the Tibor Riptide is researching the other boards . Very little if any problems with the Tibor. Jim W. hit the nail on the head. I could be wrong but Tibor will be around for a long time. I also considered Able but it's been sold and who knows what will happen. I've talked to several owners of Tibors and they like them very much. Just my .02 FishHawk

juro
04-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Yeah they are great reels for sure, I am hot to own one soon.

I was just curious whether you had anything specific you might share like the drag design, special anodizing, etc.

Smcdermott
04-06-2006, 02:08 PM
IMHO, I think the Tibors are the best boat reels. They are virtually maintenance free and have a smooth drag that will stop a freight train. However, where I think the reel can have its problems is fishing the surf. They put a ton of grease inside the reel housing and that can collect salt and debris from the surf if the reel gets submerged. I had this happen and started to see some corrision on the draw bar and bearings. I sent the reel in and they swapped out everything so the service is great. I also asked that they leave out the excess grease and send me some extra so I could maintain it myself. This was done just before I got the boat so I am not sure if it would solve the issue. For this reason I like the Abels in the surf as they have no grease and a quick rinse and some neats foot oil and you are in business. I also think the new Old Floridas are worth a look in this price point. I think they have worked out some of the issues the old ones have and are a few hundred cheaper with a sealed drag. Juro, are you aware of any plans at Daniellson to produce big game size reels. I believe their largest model today tops out around a 10wt.

Sean

sean
04-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Sean

Daniellson has the HD 11-14 which will fit a 14wt line and about 500 yards of gelspun. I own 3 and use them with two handed rods for capacity reasons but would not hesitate to match them up against a tuna. At about $450 they are a screaming deal. They are maintenence free and sealed so no worries about sand if you are on foot. The old floridas provide this as well as the sage D series reels.

The only reason I never went for Tibors was the lack of a quick change spool. Looks like they have solved this problem. Now I have enough loop/daniellsons and old florida nautilus' I can finally say I got enough reels so no need for a tibor.

I would never fish an open drag reel in the surf. Not worth the trouble. I like not having to clean my reels all season long. Now if I had a boat it may be a different story.

-sean

Dave17
04-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Own a Tibor and an Abel. As far as performance I'd say it's a dead heat but man does the Tibor sing when you get into the backing:lildevl:

Smcdermott
04-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Sean,

Hopefully we can get into some of those footballs and put your HD's to the test this summer. I would love to get a few real life demos in before plunking down the cash for one.

Sean