A few flies for Belize [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: A few flies for Belize

tight-lines
04-01-2006, 06:59 AM
You all have inspired me to start tying so I thought I'd share a few of the patterns I'm tying for Belize. I hope the images come out ok I'm new to this digital stuff. Any comments would be appreciated as I'm also new to this type of tying (salt).
Thanks
Joe

FishHawk
04-01-2006, 07:05 AM
The last pattern with the chartreuse and white wing would make a great fly for the Flats of Cape Cod. :lildevl: Nice work. FishHawk

tight-lines
04-01-2006, 12:30 PM
rainy day thought I'd try another
rams wool crab. what do you think? look fishy?:D

hmaadd
04-01-2006, 12:55 PM
what kind of material did you use on the baitfish and where did you get the patterns. nice job

doogue
04-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Just wanted to let you know that the flies look great.

Glad to see that you have a little pink in your flies. The bones seemed to prefer a little pink while I was there (2 weeks ago).

Good work.

Have fun,

Mike

tight-lines
04-01-2006, 02:43 PM
The baitfish is a version of the double bunny
zonker strips top and bottom diamond braid wrapped around the shank, red marabou for the gills, lead eye on the bottom to keep point up, couple strands of k - flash and epoxy on the eyes. peice of cake!
I tie a all white version for smallmouth works great nice action especially when they key on shad.

The other flies are pretty much standard stuff Turneffe crab, gottcha w/ legs, bonefish bitter, pink puff,Chico's snapping shrimp, skinny water shrimp(I think Juro posted this one in a differnt color), my version of the spawning shrimp and the crab is just something I made up useing ideas I found on this site. The Rams wool really looks good wet kind of translucent around the edges.

Mike, read about your trip to Palencia we are heading towards Hopkins / Sittee River then out to Glovers reef. After reading your account I'm more pumped then ever!!! I'll make sure I get some more pink into these patterns what size flies were you fishing with?

juro
04-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Third image - set of three flies, two weightless...

that one on the upper right is on the money for tailers. Tie it a little lighter too but keep the orange highlight.

I think Adrian would agree. :cool:

BTW the crabs are automatic as well.

doogue
04-01-2006, 05:12 PM
I was fishing with flies that were roughly size 6.

I fished pink hued Crazy Charlies and the Bonfish Bitters was a go to fly for the guide when the fishing was tough and we had lots of refusals.

Biggest fish of the day (lost near the boat) was on the Bitters.

Good luck!

Mike

mugsy
04-01-2006, 11:59 PM
Tight-lines,

I'm not sure your photographs are quite clear enough, I think you need to send us all a half dozen or so of each for closer inspection..............:devil:

Jim Miller
04-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Great looking flies!
As one who is gearing up for a June trip, I thought I had tied enough at 4 boxes and over 450 flies.
Heck...... seeing your stuff (and these great looking ties).... I now need to fill another box! ;) :Eyecrazy:
Thanks for posting!

tight-lines
04-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Tight-lines,

I'm not sure your photographs are quite clear enough, I think you need to send us all a half dozen or so of each for closer inspection..............:devil:

Good Try!!!:chuckle:

Speaking of numbers of flies how many of these things can I expect to go through in a day?? That might be a semi - stupid question:confused: I am sure it depends alot on how close to coral or mangroves the fish are. I hope to put in about 6- 7 days of pretty solid fishing. How many would you guys tie for this type of trip.
Thanks for the positive feed back.